From: Arthur Schwarz <home@slipbits.com>
To: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Can you use a function reference passed in a template argument?
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 13:24:50 -0800	[thread overview]

On 11/9/2023 1:11 PM, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc-help wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2023 at 20:46, Arthur Schwarz <home@slipbits.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there any way to use a function passed as an argument to a template
>> (example below)? Couldn't the existence of the referenced function be
>> established durint instantiation (Stack<some class> obj)? I realize that
>> just doing analysis of the template that the existence of a referenced
>> function can't be determined, but during instantiation it can be validated.
> I have no idea what that code is trying to do. You're trying to call a
> member function on a _type_ T.
As if I knew what I was trying to do.

> And you said you want to call a function passed as an argument ... but
> the template argument you pass is a type, not a function.

At the time of object instantiation the 'type' is a class and as a
member of this
class there is a function. It is resolvable that when a class is used
that to satisfy
the requirement that the template object is correct, the class must
contain the
indicated function. If a passed class does not contain the indicated
function,
then an error can be generated.

It looks like the determination of template instantiability is made when
the
template is 'compiled', and at this time it is not possible to determine
that
the referenced function, T.fun(), is available. This validation only
becomes
possible during template instantiation, that is, when
template_name<class_name>
is instantiated. To me the question then becomes does the standard require
that checking is not deferred until instantiation.