From: Paul Smith <paul@mad-scientist.net>
To: JacobK622 <JacobK622@protonmail.com>
Subject: Re: I'm really confuesd and frustrated Please Help
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 16:09:01 -0400	[thread overview]

On Sun, 2020-06-28 at 19:53 +0000, JacobK622 via Gcc-help wrote:
> What I hoped to accomplish with my first email was to avoid having to
> go through each file in the standard c library and standard c++
> library and determine what license each was under.  If I'm reading
> Dan Kegel's suggestion correctly, I would actually end up doing more
> work rather than less, because I'd have to count lines of code of
> each function/method in each file.

You only have to do that work if you aren't ready to believe our
assertions that it's not needed, and the intentions of the authors of
the GNU libc library to ensure that it's not needed, but instead need
to prove this to yourself empirically.

> Paul Smith pointed out that nothing said here is legally binding nor
> "legal advice" and is nothing more than as he put it, "Advice from
> someone on the internet". I am fully aware of this fact. I'm not
> looking for a lawyer just some help solving my problem.

As mentioned above, we've provided our opinions, which is all we can do
and what you have asked for.

If that's good enough then you're all set and no more work needs to be
done.  Remember, there are already _thousands_ of proprietary C and C++
programs running on GNU/Linux platforms, all of which were compiled
with GCC and linked against GNU libc, and they are not having any legal
troubles related to this.

If you need more than that, then yes, you'll have to do more work to
achieve whatever level of satisfaction you require.  How much work that
is, is up to you and we can't help with that.

Cheers!