* Errors during gcc-3.3.3 install
       [not found] ` <120E90CBFF72804198D8B7689539943A02368D45@AZ25EXM01.gddsi.com>
@ 2007-12-05 16:51   ` Lamont, Brian-p3354c
From: Lamont, Brian-p3354c @ 2007-12-05 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I get the errors below during the make bootstrap  while installing
gcc-3.3.3 on Redhat 3 updt 9, 64 bit.   I don't have much knowledge of
installing gcc, so I'm a little lost at what its after.  Also this same
image was installed on the same hardware type, but running redhat 3 updt
8 without any problems.   I've compared the rpm list on each system, and
many of the "lib" related rpms, glibc, libgcc and are all identical,
with execption of a few that are actually a newer version on the problem
system, rhel 3 updt 9.   the updt 8 system has approx. 1300 rpms
installed, and the other has only approx. 900 installed.   Any
particular rpm I should be looking for?   A line-by-line comparison of
the rpms, to the best of my knowledge, shows rpms that by name, one
would assume that they are not related to the problem.   I'll take
another look in the mean time.    Could someone point me in right
direction?

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib64/libc.so when searching for
-lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib64/libc.a when searching for
-lc /usr/bin/ld:/cannot find -lc
Collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [32/libgcc_s_32.so]  Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/prj/dbptools/pkgs/gcc-3.3.3.tmp/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/prj/dbptools/pkgs/gcc-3.3.3.tmp/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

Thanks,
brian

* Re: Errors during gcc-3.3.3 install
@ 2007-12-05 18:06     ` Brian Dessent
       [not found]       ` <7b174b8a000b2262@az25egi01>
From: Brian Dessent @ 2007-12-05 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lamont, Brian-p3354c; +Cc: gcc-help

"Lamont, Brian-p3354c" wrote:

> I get the errors below during the make bootstrap  while installing
> gcc-3.3.3 on Redhat 3 updt 9, 64 bit.   I don't have much knowledge of
> installing gcc, so I'm a little lost at what its after.  Also this same
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib64/libc.so when searching for
> -lc
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib64/libc.a when searching for
> -lc /usr/bin/ld:/cannot find -lc
> Collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [32/libgcc_s_32.so]  Error 1

Install the missing the 32 bit glibc development package, or
--disable-multilib if you don't need a compiler capable of 32 bit
support.

       [not found]         ` <120E90CBFF72804198D8B7689539943A023B1CB7@AZ25EXM01.gddsi.com>
@ 2007-12-12 13:18           ` Lamont, Brian-p3354c
From: Lamont, Brian-p3354c @ 2007-12-12 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I was able to get gcc-3.3.3 installed finding that the glib rpms below
were missing on the problem system, compared to another rhel 3 updt 9
system where the install was successful.
glib2-devel-2.2.3-2.0
glib-devel-1.2.10-11.1

However, now I have a customer trying to install it++ and, in so many
words, its complaining that it cannot find the libstdc++ libraries.
I'll reply with more detail when he comes in.   How can I ensure that
this install will be isolated, but can still use the shared libraries?