* convert c++ to C
@ 2002-12-06  4:13 Daniel Hempel
From: Daniel Hempel @ 2002-12-06  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello!

Is it possible to automatically translate ANSI-C++ code to ANSI-C using
gcc?
In case it is, how should I invoke gcc?

Thank you for your help
Daniel

Wie wäre das: mehrere E-Mail Adressen - aber nur ein Postfach ?
Kein Problem mit WEB.DE FreeMail - http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021127

* Re: convert c++ to C
@ 2002-12-06  6:00 ` Andrea 'fwyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'fwyzard' Bocci @ 2002-12-06  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Hempel; +Cc: gcc-help

At 13.13 06/12/2002 +0100, Daniel Hempel wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Is it possible to automatically translate ANSI-C++ code to ANSI-C using
>gcc?

I don't think so.
g++ natively compiles C++, does not translate it into C before.

>In case it is, how should I invoke gcc?
>
>Thank you for your help
>Daniel

fwyzard

* Re: convert c++ to C
@ 2002-12-06  6:09   ` bjorn rohde jensen
From: bjorn rohde jensen @ 2002-12-06  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea 'fwyzard' Bocci; +Cc: Daniel Hempel, gcc-help

Hi guys,

  Did the old CFront C++ compiler not translate
to C first? It is of course a wee bit old....

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn

* Re: convert c++ to C
@ 2002-12-06 12:22     ` Oscar Fuentes
From: Oscar Fuentes @ 2002-12-06 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

bjorn rohde jensen <bjensen@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
>   Did the old CFront C++ compiler not translate
> to C first? It is of course a wee bit old....

There is a number of C++ and C compilers that produces C code that
later is passed to a C compiler for generating the object code. Comeau
is one of them. KAI (discontinued) often yields faster executables
than g++, despite the fact that it uses gcc as the C compiler. This is
true even for straight C code (That is, you compile a C source file
with KAI, which generates a different C source file, that is passed to
gcc. You obtain a faster executable than passing the original C source
file to gcc directly).

IIRC, from time to time people discusses on the gcc mailing list the
possibility of making a gcc backend that would produce C code instead
of assembler.

--
Oscar