Hi Mark, Mark Butt writes: > Thanks Segher! > I tried 12.2 a few days ago but I am getting errors that I think are about the > compiler that comes with OpenBSD being too old to build 12.2. > I haven't given up yet, but I think I need to reinstall OpenBSD for sanity sake > to make sure I haven't messed something up over the weeks of trying to figure > it out. OpenBSD 7.2 seems to includes GCC 4.2.1 and Clang 13. The former is too old, however, the latter should work fine. Try to configure with CC=clang CXX=clang++ or something like that. > This morning I found a great article about how to build gcc for an Alpha > emulated VM running Tru64. I am going to try to roughly translate what I can > in to OpenBSD to see if that helps. > I do have Tru64 on another set of SCSI disks so I might give it a go... just to > see if the steps work for a stock Tru64 5.1b. > > When I started this small project I didn't think it would much trouble at all. > I had assumed modern OpenBSD would be similar to using something like modern > AIX which supports a lot of GNU-linked products very well... either that was a > poor assumption on my part, I am doing something wrong, the Alpha architecture > (yes, ancient I know) or a combination of several of those. > > When I do have a working GCC installation I will report back with the steps > required to get there. Incase anyone else happens to feel the need to compile > GCC on an old Alpha. > I am thinking I am getting close... GCC is building it seems, but encounters > errors during the subsequent steps. It complains that it cannot create > executables. > > I did notice that the configure script is detecting the host as: alpha-unknown-openbsd7.2 > Does anyone know if that looks right or if I should be manually specifying the host type? Assuming this is an Alpha host, that seems right. > Again, thanks all for the help and taking the time to respond. > -M Have a nice night. -- Arsen Arsenović