* c++ STL change?
@ 2003-11-10 14:06 m.
From: m. @ 2003-11-10 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am using STL classes with gcc and I noticed a change between 3.3.2 and
3.2.2 versions in the std::map class implementation.

The typename for value type in map differs:
3.3.2 = mapped_type
3.2.2 = data_type
(as seen in c++/3.x.x/bits/stl_map.h file).

I am using STL manual from http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/Map.html which
says it should be data_type as it is in the 3.2.2 version.
Can anyone explain this?
Thanks..
michal

* Re: c++ STL change?
@ 2003-11-10 14:38 ` Falk Hueffner
From: Falk Hueffner @ 2003-11-10 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: m.; +Cc: gcc-help

"m." <michal017@centrum.sk> writes:

> I am using STL classes with gcc and I noticed a change between 3.3.2 and
> 3.2.2 versions in the std::map class implementation.
>
> The typename for value type in map differs:
> 3.3.2 = mapped_type
> 3.2.2 = data_type
> (as seen in c++/3.x.x/bits/stl_map.h file).
>
> I am using STL manual from http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/Map.html which
> says it should be data_type as it is in the 3.2.2 version.
> Can anyone explain this?

The C++ standard uses mapped_type; the SGI STL predates the standard.

--
	Falk

* RE: c++ STL change?
@ 2003-11-11 18:13 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2003-11-11 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LAssinovsky, michal017, gcc-help

mapped_type is not "internal".  It's a public property (so to speak) of
the map and can be used when declaring variables of the right type for
the map value.  For example, if I have a map like this:

map<string, MyClass> myMap;

I can create a new object of type MyClass like this:

myMap::mapped_type myObj;

Also, just in case you do any work on Windows, MSVC++ 6.0 doesn't
support mapped_type...

Cheers,
Lyle

And according to my experience any internal changes are subject
to change without any notice.
:(

* RE: c++ STL change?
@ 2003-11-10 14:37 Lev Assinovsky
From: Lev Assinovsky @ 2003-11-10 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: m., gcc-help

Seems, you are using STL Port Manual.
I guess gcc uses another version.
And according to my experience any internal changes are subject
to change without any notice.
:(

----
Lev Assinovsky
Aelita Software Corporation
O&S InTrust Framework Division, Team Leader
ICQ# 165072909