* No core dump
@ 2003-10-30 11:55 Krzysztof.Wisniowski
From: Krzysztof.Wisniowski @ 2003-10-30 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi all,
Recently I had to switch to gcc 3.2.  My program crashes with segmentation
fault, however no core is dumped. Is there some compiler option to force the
system to generate the core file, or is it system feature?

Greetings,
--
Krzysztof Wisniowski   | Siemens Sp. z o.o.
ICM SDC NMR 3          | Software Design Center

* Re: No core dump
@ 2003-10-30 12:26 ` Falk Hueffner
From: Falk Hueffner @ 2003-10-30 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof.Wisniowski; +Cc: gcc-help

Krzysztof.Wisniowski@siemens.com writes:

> Recently I had to switch to gcc 3.2.  My program crashes with
> segmentation fault, however no core is dumped. Is there some
> compiler option to force the system to generate the core file, or is
> it system feature?

That's a system feature. Check ulimit, and make sure the current
working directory is writeable.

--
	Falk

* RE: No core dump
@ 2003-10-30 14:04 HOLTZ, CORBIN L. (JSC-ER) (LM)
From: HOLTZ, CORBIN L. (JSC-ER) (LM) @ 2003-10-30 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I get core dumps all the time under RH9.0.  Most likely you are running the
program from a directory in which you don't have write permissions, OR the
program is changing the current working directory internally (chdir) to a
directory which is write protected.

From: Mihnea Balta @ 2003-10-30 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lev Assinovsky, Claudio Bley; +Cc: Krzysztof.Wisniowski, gcc-help

  It's not the compiler's job to produce a core dump. Redhat disables core
dump from one of its startup scripts. Just tipe "ulimit -c unlimited" before
running the faulty program.

On Thursday 30 October 2003 14:49, Lev Assinovsky wrote:
> I know for sure that in RedHat 8.x, 9.x gcc doesn't produce core dump.
>
> ----
> Lev Assinovsky
> Aelita Software Corporation
> O&S InTrust Framework Division, Team Leader
> ICQ# 165072909

* RE: No core dump
@ 2003-10-30 12:50 Lev Assinovsky
From: Lev Assinovsky @ 2003-10-30 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudio Bley; +Cc: Krzysztof.Wisniowski, gcc-help

@ 2003-10-30 12:44 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2003-10-30 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lev Assinovsky; +Cc: Krzysztof.Wisniowski, gcc-help

@ 2003-10-30 12:33   ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2003-10-30 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof.Wisniowski, gcc-help

Also, on top of what Segher said, make sure you haven't done this:
touch core
chmod 000 core

--Eljay

* RE: No core dump
@ 2003-10-30 12:31 Ajay Bansal
From: Ajay Bansal @ 2003-10-30 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lev Assinovsky, Krzysztof.Wisniowski, gcc-help

I beg to differ.
Giving command before running your executable enables core

ulimit -c unlimited

@ 2003-10-30 12:24 ` Segher Boessenkool
From: Segher Boessenkool @ 2003-10-30 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lev Assinovsky; +Cc: Krzysztof.Wisniowski, gcc-help

Lev Assinovsky wrote:
[ Charset Windows-1251 unsupported, converting... ]
> If your system is Linux then "no coredump" is a feature.
> I heard to fix that you have to recompile the kernel.

Try   ulimit -c unlimited   instead.  And this is off-topic.

Segher

* RE: No core dump
@ 2003-10-30 12:03 Lev Assinovsky
From: Lev Assinovsky @ 2003-10-30 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)