I'm trying to bootstrap gcc on x86_64. Here is my configure line: ../gcc/configure --prefix=/home/ed/bin-4.3 --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran --with-gmp-dir=/home/ed/gcc/gmp-4.2.1 --with-mpfr-dir=/home/ed/gcc/mpfr-2.2.0 I just unpacked the GMP and MPFR source directories in the gcc source tree. My question is why does the configure check require the mpfr library to already be built when I put two source directories? It seems like it should just check the headers. Then it should configure and build those packages using the most useful flags for GCC. Ed