* RE: Optimization -  removing unused code
@ 2005-01-12 16:49 Madani, Srikanth, VF-DE
       [not found] ` <8FACC07CE2E5774FB9B14B643263BA13EABBD9@DEDUS-WICL02M01.vf-de.internal .vodafone.com>
From: Madani, Srikanth, VF-DE @ 2005-01-12 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, Eljay Love-Jensen, Graham Stott, Sriharsha, gcc-help,
	Labermeier Norbert

Following up the thread titled "RE: ld warning (was Optimization, remove unused code from  Image)":

> Will retry on a Linux machine where everything is GNU, and see if I have
> better results there.

#Compilation : gcc version 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)
$> gcc -c -ffunction-sections *.c

#Linking : GNU ld version 2.14.90.0.5 20030722 (SuSE Linux)
$> gcc -Wl,--gc-sections *.o

$> file a.out
a.out: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

a.out works fine, but contains the uncalled function func3() in the code section.

If I link it statically, however:
$> gcc -Wl,--gc-sections,-static *.o

$> file a.out
a.out: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped

And a.out doesn't contain func3(). AND, it doesn't contain func2() either.

So, unused code has been removed - but only (as man ld stipulates) if you link statically.

Cheers,
Srikanth Madani
Düsseldorf, NRW

The source files are:

$> cat hello.c
int main(void) {
        printf("\nHello world!\n");
        func1();
        exit(0);
}
$>

$> cat fun1.c
void func1(void) {
        printf("\nIn function func1()\n");
}
void func2(void) {
        func3();
}
$>

$> cat fun2.c
void func3(void) {
        printf("\nIn function func3()\n");
}
$>

@ 2005-01-12 17:35   ` Ramana Radhakrishnan
From: Ramana Radhakrishnan @ 2005-01-12 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madani, Srikanth, VF-DE
  Cc: gcc-help, Eljay Love-Jensen, Graham Stott, Sriharsha, Labermeier Norbert

Hi,

Yeah I can imagine why it would be hard to do --gc-sections for
dynamically linked executables . You would have to worry about the
semantics of weak  symbol definitions , weak function definitions to worry
about. Other than that I can't think of any other issues off the cuff. It
looks as though no one has done it yet and possibly would be a nifty
feature to have,  though using google I could only find this thread as a
reference :

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-11/msg00339.html

and more specifically this reply :

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-11/msg00350.html

In any case maybe future discussions about this should possibly move to
binutils@sources.redhat.com and maybe no longer here.

cheers
Ramana

---