* problems to install gcc
@ 2008-08-03  3:10 Kay
From: Kay @ 2008-08-03  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I've some problems to install the gcc compiler's collection.
I'm using SuSE Linux 10.1 on a desktop pc.
The problem is that there's no other C-compiler available on the system so I
can't use the build version and I don't have the install cd/dvd of Linux.
How can I install the gcc?
Maybe there's a possibility to install gcc via rpm package but I don't know
from where I can download the correct package (and maybe all necessary
libraries) and I also don't know how I can install such a package.

Hope you can help me!

Thanks a lot,
Kay

* Re: problems to install gcc
@ 2008-08-05 11:11 ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2008-08-05 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kay; +Cc: gcc-help

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Kay <Dsn1@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've some problems to install the gcc compiler's collection.
> I'm using SuSE Linux 10.1 on a desktop pc.
> The problem is that there's no other C-compiler available on the system so I
> can't use the build version and I don't have the install cd/dvd of Linux.
> How can I install the gcc?
> Maybe there's a possibility to install gcc via rpm package but I don't know
> from where I can download the correct package (and maybe all necessary
> libraries) and I also don't know how I can install such a package.

If you don't have gcc installed, a Suse distribution has a way to
install missing apps but I don't know what it is.  Try a Suse mailing
list.

-Tom

* Re: problems to install gcc
@ 2008-06-29 11:38 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2008-06-29 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kay Schröer; +Cc: gcc-help

Kay Schröer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've some problems to configure, build and install the gcc collection.
> I downloaded the file gcc-4.3.0.tar.gz.
> Then I started the console (bash) and decompressed the archive by typing:
>  gzip -d gcc-4.3.0.tar.gz
>  tar -xf gcc-4.3.0.tar
> The source files are placed in the directory /usr/gcc-4.3.0, for example
>  /usr/gcc-4.3.0/compile
>  /usr/gcc-4.3.0/configure
>  /usr/gcc-4.3.0/install-sh
> Now I want to install the package to the directory /usr/gcc to use the
> compilers.
> I already read the documentation but there are so many commands and
> options, so I don't know what I have to do step by step.
> Can you give me the necessary commands and options to configure, build
> and install a standard version of gcc (with all libraries installed to
> compile standard C-applications) to my system?

All you usually need on a Linux system is to specify a prefix.

So, make a clean directory and in that directory do

  /usr/gcc-4.3.0/configure --prefix=/usr/gcc

  make

  make install

Andrew.

* problems to install gcc
@ 2008-06-28 23:41 Kay Schröer
From: Kay Schröer @ 2008-06-28 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

[...]

I'm using SuSE Linux 10.1 on a "normal" desktop pc as root user.

Thanks for help!
Best regards,
Kay Schröer