* MinGW G++ license information (was RE: Information Required)
@ 2020-08-18  9:21 Dallman, John
From: Dallman, John @ 2020-08-18  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharma, Vaibhav /CS, 'Jonathan Wakely'
  Cc: GSC-EMIT-HCL-ITAM-NP&C-UIT, Singla, Kanika /CS, gcc-help

The MinGW builds of GCC for Windows are not used by nearly as many people as the Linux builds, and many people on this list, such as me, will be unfamiliar with the MinGW file layout. If you go to http://www.mingw.org/license and scroll down to "Binutils, GCC, GDB, GNU Make", you'll see that the Gnu development tools, such as GCC, are under various versions of the Gnu General Public License, aka "GPL". You can read about that at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#GPL.

To find out which version of GPL the GCC/g++ you have is under, look for a file or files matching *COPYING* in whatever directories MinGW GCC is installed in.

You would appear to be unfamiliar with free software licenses: they are very different from those for most commercial software. Please read the COPYING files, and think about their implications. They say what they mean, in quite plain language, and they have the opposite intent from most commercial licenses.

--
John Dallman
DI SW PES OT PC PDE

Siemens Digital Industries Software
Siemens Industry Software Limited
Francis House, 112 Hills Road,
Cambridge CB2 1PH, United Kingdom
Tel.      :+44 (1223) 371554
Fax       :+44 (1223) 371700
john.dallman@siemens.com
www.siemens.com/plm

-----------------
Siemens Industry Software Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 3476850.
Registered office: Faraday House, Sir William Siemens Square, Frimley, Surrey, GU16 8QD.

* RE: MinGW G++ license information (was RE: Information Required)
@ 2020-08-18 10:59 ` Sharma, Vaibhav /CS
From: Sharma, Vaibhav /CS @ 2020-08-18 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dallman, John', 'Jonathan Wakely'
  Cc: GSC-EMIT-HCL-ITAM-NP&C-UIT, Singla, Kanika /CS, gcc-help

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing this information with us.

We will get back to you if we need any further information to move forward with the review.

@ 2020-08-18 11:16   ` Dallman, John
From: Dallman, John @ 2020-08-18 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharma, Vaibhav /CS, 'Jonathan Wakely'
  Cc: GSC-EMIT-HCL-ITAM-NP&C-UIT, Singla, Kanika /CS, gcc-help,
	Dallman, John

> We will get back to you if we need any further information to move forward with the review.

Please note that I have no direct connection with the GCC project (I just use their compiler on Linux) and don't know much about MinGW at all. I'm just trying to be helpful, because I have a little experience in explaining the Gnu world to corporate IT types.

--

@ 2020-08-18 11:57     ` Sharma, Vaibhav /CS
From: Sharma, Vaibhav /CS @ 2020-08-18 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dallman, John', 'Jonathan Wakely'
  Cc: GSC-EMIT-HCL-ITAM-NP&C-UIT, Singla, Kanika /CS, gcc-help

Hi John,

This has been acknowledged.

Thanks for your valuable support to get our review move forward.