* kernel too old
@ 2007-02-14 17:30 Monteaup
From: Monteaup @ 2007-02-14 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I compiled something on Ubuntu edgy. This has to work also on Suse 6.2...

What I did:
- used the -rpath option and included the Ubuntu libs on Suse.
- the dynamic linker was too old to handle the new binaries so I used in
additon the option -dynamic-linker and included the Ubuntu dynamic linker on
Suse.

This was working, till now.. :( The reason is, the libc I was using before
are compatible to Kernel 2.2 and above. After an update on ubuntu this
changed and libc requires at least Kernel 2.6 and I get the message "kernel
too old"

Any suggestions/workarounds too solve this Problem?

* RE: kernel too old
@ 2007-02-14 19:46 ` Kaz Kylheku
From: Kaz Kylheku @ 2007-02-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Monteaup, gcc-help

gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org wrote:
> After an update on ubuntu this changed and libc requires at least
Kernel 2.6 and I get the
> message "kernel
> too old"
>
> Any suggestions/workarounds too solve this Problem?

Glibc's minimum kernel requirement is a compile-time option in glibc via
the configure script. It has absolutely nothing to do with gcc. You have
to either get a newer kernel, or obtain a glibc that is built to accept
the kernel that you have. Doh?

* RE: kernel too old
@ 2007-02-16 11:31   ` Monteaup
From: Monteaup @ 2007-02-16 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Kaz Kylheku-3 wrote:

> gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org wrote:
>> After an update on ubuntu this changed and libc requires at least
> Kernel 2.6 and I get the
>> message "kernel
>> too old"
>>
>> Any suggestions/workarounds too solve this Problem?
>
> Glibc's minimum kernel requirement is a compile-time option in glibc via
> the configure script. It has absolutely nothing to do with gcc. You have
> to either get a newer kernel, or obtain a glibc that is built to accept
> the kernel that you have. Doh?

Thank you for the quick response!

I'm not able to update the Kernel, so I have to use the old libc or
recompile it with the proper Kernel Version.

First try:
I had the old libc.so and ld-linux. So tryed to compile using the old libc.
Which wasn't successful... I got undefined reference errors because I don't
have the old libc headers any more.

Sec try:
I downloaded the old libc package from the ubuntu repository. But even the
older versions need the 2.6 Kernel. probably they updated it?! Crap...

The only way seems  to get the source and compile it.
I got the sourcers of the glibc 2.4 which supports only nptl threads. I
don't care I'm not using threads at all. Got it compiled. I didn't got the
"Kernel to old" error on SUSE any more but something else beacuse of the
thraeds. And there is no way to compile glibc without threads support.

It looks like I have to try it with glibc 2.3...

* RE: kernel too old
@ 2007-02-22 12:17     ` Monteaup
From: Monteaup @ 2007-02-22 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Tryed to compile glibc-2.3 and faild. The build scripts seems to be buggy at
all... Downloaded it from Ubuntu and glibc, all the same. Fixed same of this
bugs, but there are still some left...

Found some old compiled glibc with include files. So I compiled it with the
Option -nostdlibs  using the old libs and includes, but now I getting the
error "undefined reference to `_dl_out_of_memory@GLIBC_PRIVATE'"

There must be an easier way to compile Software on a new System, which is
runable on old Installations?