* RE: Problem installing gcc 3.4.2 on Solaris 9
@ 2004-09-27 14:50 Lourens Janse van Rensburg
From: Lourens Janse van Rensburg @ 2004-09-27 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Ryan McFall

After doing "make bootstrap", try "make install SHELL=/usr/xpg4/bin/sh"

Lourens...

From: Claudio Bley @ 2004-09-27 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello Ryan,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 08:06:36AM -0400, Ryan McFall wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I've downloaded the full sources for gcc and unpacked them somewhere into my
> home directory.  This results in a subdirectory of my home directory called
> gcc-3.4.2.  I then did the following:
>
> mkdir objdir
> cd objdir
> /home/mcfall/dept/sysadmin/gcc-3.4.2/configure --prefix=/opt/gnu2
> --with-local-prefix=/opt/gnu2 --enable-threads=solaris
> --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --enable-languages=c,c++,f77
> make bootstrap
> make install
>
> Without specifying the full path to configure, I got problems running make
> install, complaining about install-sh not being found in a relative path
> name.  I found the suggestion to use a full path name on another post.
>
> This series of commands worked without make returning any errors that I
> could see.  However, there is nothing in the /opt/gnu2/include directory,
> and this makes compiling anything useful obviously difficult.

When it is empty why did you specify --with-local-prefix then???

From the install docs:

"--with-local-prefix=dirname

 Specify the installation directory for local include files. The default is /usr/local.
 Specify this option if you want the compiler to search directory dirname/include for
 locally installed header files *instead* of /usr/local/include."

 [...]

 Indications are that people who use this option use it based on mistaken ideas of what
 it is for. People use it as if it specified where to install part of GCC. Perhaps they
 make this assumption because installing GCC creates the directory."

> Did I miss something here?  I've looked through all the installation docs
> and I don't see anything that I should have done differently or
> additionally.

Really?! ;-)

--
Claudio

* Problem installing gcc 3.4.2 on Solaris 9
@ 2004-09-27 12:06 Ryan McFall