* Re: segfault
       [not found] ` <C563E3CB.36815%eljay@adobe.com>
@ 2008-12-09 15:15   ` Leonardo Santagostini
From: Leonardo Santagostini @ 2008-12-09 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John (Eljay) Love-Jensen, gcc-help

Well well well.

Thanks for the answers, i will do the following things:

1) To read and learn how to use the GDB :D !!
2) Compile -g3 RGPVISAServer
3) Attach gdb to a runnig RGPVISAServer process to see what is doing wrong.

Well, after finish i will publish my error, thanks for support me !!!!

Yours
Leonardo

--
Saludos.-
Leonardo Santagostini

* Re: segfault
@ 2008-12-09 17:04     ` John Fine
From: John Fine @ 2008-12-09 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonardo Santagostini; +Cc: John (Eljay) Love-Jensen, gcc-help

For most segfaults, I find it easier to use ulimit to make coredumps
temporarily unlimited, then rerun the original program to fail again,
but now that will generate a core file.

Then open the image and core file together in gdb.  You don't need much
gdb knowledge (more than I remember right now, but still not much) to
get a backtrace (call stack from the failure point up through main).
Usually that is enough to identify the exact bug.

If it isn't, then you build with more debug info and use gdb in more
challenging ways.

@ 2008-12-09 19:15       ` Leonardo Santagostini
From: Leonardo Santagostini @ 2008-12-09 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Fine; +Cc: John (Eljay) Love-Jensen, gcc-help

Hello Folks !!!

I have my mind broken in pieces, but i must assume i dont have enough skill.

Sorry for bother you.

Sincerelly
Leonardo

If someone wants to help me i will really appreciate

@ 2009-01-08 15:27         ` Sven Eschenberg
From: Sven Eschenberg @ 2009-01-08 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

The effect is (as Tom said) that specific debug symbols will be added,
which are not needed for execution, but help the debugger during the
debugging process, as well as the human trying to understand the
debuggers output.

Regards

-Sven

P.S.: Yes, this might include line numbers and/or function names etc.

Kolpur Srinivasa Chary schrieb:
> Thanks for that information Tom, but what is the effect of -g3 option in
> gcc. Is it to get the line number where the error occcured when gdb was
> debugging ?
>
> Regards
> cnu
>
> On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 10:07 -0500, Tom St Denis wrote:
>> Kolpur Srinivasa Chary wrote:
>>> Hi Tom,
>>> I didn't get you ... can you please elaborate it.. please .. I am new to gdb ..
>>>
>> When you compile your source, add -g3, e.g.
>>
>> gcc -g3 myfile.c -o myprog
>> gdb myprog
>>
>> Tom
>>

>>> Regards
>>> cnu

* Re: SegFault
       [not found]     ` <496616C3.6090802@ellipticsemi.com>
@ 2009-01-08 15:19       ` Kolpur Srinivasa Chary
From: Kolpur Srinivasa Chary @ 2009-01-08 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom St Denis; +Cc: gcc-help

Thanks for that information Tom, but what is the effect of -g3 option in
gcc. Is it to get the line number where the error occcured when gdb was
debugging ?

Regards
cnu

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 10:07 -0500, Tom St Denis wrote:
> Kolpur Srinivasa Chary wrote:
> > Hi Tom,
> > I didn't get you ... can you please elaborate it.. please .. I am new to gdb ..
> >

> When you compile your source, add -g3, e.g.
>
> gcc -g3 myfile.c -o myprog
> gdb myprog
>
> Tom
>

> > Regards
> > cnu

> > > You have to compile with debug information turned on, try adding "-g3" to
> > > your build, also avoid adding strip or "-s" to your build.
> > >
> > > Tom

* Re: SegFault
@ 2009-01-08 15:03   ` Kolpur Srinivasa Chary
       [not found]     ` <496616C3.6090802@ellipticsemi.com>
From: Kolpur Srinivasa Chary @ 2009-01-08 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom St Denis; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Tom,
I didn't get you ... can you please elaborate it.. please .. I am new to gdb ..

Regards
cnu

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Tom St Denis <tstdenis@ellipticsemi.com> wrote:
> Kolpur Srinivasa Chary wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got segmentation fault when I compiled a program with gcc, so I have
>> run the executable file to gdb.
>> When I tried running the program through gdb, it displayed the following
>> message

>> 0x08048ccb in main ()
>>
>> But why is it not telling me the line number at which segfault
>> occured? Please help me regarding this issue.
>>

> You have to compile with debug information turned on, try adding "-g3" to
> your build, also avoid adding strip or "-s" to your build.
>
> Tom

* Re: SegFault
@ 2009-01-08 15:00 ` Tom St Denis
From: Tom St Denis @ 2009-01-08 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kolpur Srinivasa Chary; +Cc: gcc-help

Kolpur Srinivasa Chary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got segmentation fault when I compiled a program with gcc, so I have
> run the executable file to gdb.
> When I tried running the program through gdb, it displayed the following message

> 0x08048ccb in main ()
>
> But why is it not telling me the line number at which segfault
> occured? Please help me regarding this issue.

You have to compile with debug information turned on, try adding "-g3"
to your build, also avoid adding strip or "-s" to your build.

Tom

* SegFault
@ 2009-01-08 14:59 Kolpur Srinivasa Chary
From: Kolpur Srinivasa Chary @ 2009-01-08 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I got segmentation fault when I compiled a program with gcc, so I have
run the executable file to gdb.
When I tried running the program through gdb, it displayed the following message

0x08048ccb in main ()

But why is it not telling me the line number at which segfault
occured? Please help me regarding this issue.

Regards,
cnu

* Re: segfault
@ 2008-12-09 14:26 ` John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
From: John (Eljay) Love-Jensen @ 2008-12-09 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonardo Santagostini, GCC-help

@ 2008-12-09 14:22 ` Tom St Denis
From: Tom St Denis @ 2008-12-09 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonardo Santagostini; +Cc: gcc-help

Leonardo Santagostini wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I have the following problem:
>
> kernel: RGPVISAServer[15121]: segfault at 0000000000000000 rip
> 000000394dd2a089 rsp 0000000048c089f0 error 4

I assume RGPVISAServer is some sort of application you are trying to
build?  This isn't strictly a gcc-help question (unless you know for a
fact that the program shouldn't segfault).

Have you tried running it under a debugger?

Usually changing the optimization level just serves to expose/hide bugs
in your code rather than the compiler itself.

Tom

* segfault
@ 2008-12-09 13:59 Leonardo Santagostini
From: Leonardo Santagostini @ 2008-12-09 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello all

I have the following problem:

kernel: RGPVISAServer[15121]: segfault at 0000000000000000 rip
000000394dd2a089 rsp 0000000048c089f0 error 4

Im using

Linux localhost 2.6.9-67.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Nov 16 12:49:06 EST 2007
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

with

gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-9)

CentOS release 4.6 (Final)

on a dual quad core with 3 Gb RAM

Anybody can give me a clue about this ?

Im compiling from a make with these lines inside makefile:

COMPILER=gcc -g -Wall -O3 -I/usr/include/libxml2/
LIBS=-lpq -lpthread -lssl -lcrypto -lxml2

Maybe i must compile without optimization ??

Thanks
--
Saludos.-
Leonardo Santagostini