From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
To: nma@12000.org
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: failed building gcc 4.6 from sources on linux mint 2.6.35-28-generic, when doing Fortran build
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:18:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 27 March 2011 18:40, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 3/27/2011 2:13 AM, Marc Glisse wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to build gcc 4.6 which I downloaded today. I followed
>>> all instructions, did the following:
>>>
>>> 1. build/install  m4-latest
>>> 2. build/install  gmp-5.0.01
>>> 3. build/install  mpfr-3.0.0
>>> 4. build/install  mpc-0.9
>>> 5. and now for gcc 4.6:
>>>
>>> ./configure
>>> make
>>> This after about 2 hrs compiling, I get this error:
>>>
>>> checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
>>>
>>> `/media/sf_nabbasi/data/Fortran_related/gcc_4_6/gcc-4.6.0/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc':
>>> configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
>>> See `config.log' for more details.
>>> make[2]: *** [configure-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 1
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>>> `/media/sf_nabbasi/data/Fortran_related/gcc_4_6/gcc-4.6.0'
>>

>> See http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ item 5.
>>

> THanks Marc;
>
> I looked at the above link. But not able to figure what is
> wrong. I see no error in my config.log file, here it is again
>
> http://12000.org/tmp/march_27_2011/

Did you read http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure_suffix properly?

There are several config.log files, you need to look at the one in the
right directory, in your case that should be the one in the libgcc
diretory.

> I did clean; ./configure; make and same error.

See this FAQ:
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure

As stated in the installation instructions at
gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html you should not run ./configure, you
should build GCC in a different directory from the one containing the
sources.

The docs are not just written for fun, they're there to help you.

> I am no expert in these things. Anything specific I should
> try to do? Any one can see any error in the log file?

You're looking in the wrong file.

As the FAQ says, the usual reason is that the runtime linker can't
find the prerequisite libraries (which is also stated in the
--with-gmp docs at http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html - you
should read that too.)

> I do not need to build gcc 4.6 if I can help it, but
> not able to find prebuild one for my system.

You could try using the makefile linked to at
http://advogato.org/person/redi/diary/229.html which makes building
gcc much easier (especially if you don't read the documentation about
ensuring libgmp.so etc. can be found by the runtime linker)