* Environment variable doubt
@ 2003-09-29  5:15 Ashay Shende
From: Ashay Shende @ 2003-09-29  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gcc-Help

Hi,
I need some help in retrieving the values of the Environment vars from my
C++ program.

For getting the values of the Environment Variables, I am using the getenv()
function.
e.g string serverName = getenv("SERVER_NAME");

However, when i do getenv("SERVER_PROTOCOL"), it strangely returns a string
"INCLUDED" whereas I am expecting something like HTTP/0.9 or or a similar
value.  Does anyone have any idea about this ?

Also, can anyone tell me how to get the list of all the environment
variables and their values.

Thanks in advance

-Ashay

* Re: Environment variable doubt
@ 2003-09-29  5:35 ` Bharathi S
From: Bharathi S @ 2003-09-29  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashay Shende; +Cc: Gcc-Help

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ashay Shende wrote:

> Also, can anyone tell me how to get the list of all the environment
> variables and their values.

environ() -- I never used it :)

HTH :)
--
Bharathi S, IndLinuX Team,   (__)
DON Lab,    TeNeT Group,     oo )

Known is DROP, Unknown is OCEAN.

* Re: Environment variable doubt
@ 2003-09-29  7:23   ` Vinod Joseph
From: Vinod Joseph @ 2003-09-29  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bharathi S; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Bharathi et all

Hv u ever played around on HELIX....

Also, any clue on GLIBC 2.3 and what is the relevance
of the same..... Related to application failin on
target due to requiring GLIBC 2.3 and I cannot afford
to install such a big library on my target...

Any backdoors to work around the same.........Please
assist

Thanks in advance for your assistance n support

Vinod

--- Bharathi S <bharathi@lantana.tenet.res.in> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ashay Shende wrote:
>
> > Also, can anyone tell me how to get the list of
> all the environment
> > variables and their values.
>
> environ() -- I never used it :)
>
> HTH :)
> --
> Bharathi S, IndLinuX Team,   (__)
> DON Lab,    TeNeT Group,     oo )
> IIT-Madras, Chennai-INDIA.   (_/\
>
> Known is DROP, Unknown is OCEAN.

http://shopping.yahoo.com

* RE: Environment variable doubt
@ 2003-09-29  9:31   ` Ashay Shende
From: Ashay Shende @ 2003-09-29  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gcc-Help

Hi Bharati,
Could you give some more details about it.... like return type etc.

Anyways, i just tried : char* x = environ();

it gave me an error saying environ() cannot be used as a function.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ashay Shende wrote:

> Also, can anyone tell me how to get the list of all the environment
> variables and their values.

environ() -- I never used it :)

HTH :)
--

@ 2003-09-29 16:26 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2003-09-29 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ashende, gcc-help

You can also declare your programs main function as

int main(int argc, char** argv, char** env)

You will then get your environment variables as a zero-terminated array
of character pointers, pointing to variable-value pairs in the format

VARIABLE=value

That will give you access to every environment variable defined in your
program's environment.

Thanks,
Lyle Taylor

Could you give some more details about it.... like return type etc.

Anyways, i just tried : char* x = environ();

it gave me an error saying environ() cannot be used as a function.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ashay Shende wrote:

> Also, can anyone tell me how to get the list of all the environment
> variables and their values.

environ() -- I never used it :)

HTH :)