* gcc 2.96  in RH 7.3 unable to compile original kernel 2.4.9.9
@ 2004-06-30 11:29 Sukalpa Chanda
From: Sukalpa Chanda @ 2004-06-30 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: tfly, spock

Hi,
           I am a linux fanatic  from  india , I have got redhat linux
7.3(original not pc quest version) in my pc , but i want to add   kernel
2.4.9.9( downloaded from www.kernel.org) to it , but the existing gcc
(version 2.96) was unable to compile it,i tried with an rpm of gcc 2.95 , it
has failed also.
please answer me soon.

Post Classifieds on MSN classifieds. http://go.msnserver.com/IN/44045.asp
Buy and Sell on MSN Classifieds.

* Re: gcc 2.96  in RH 7.3 unable to compile original kernel  2.4.9.9
@ 2004-06-30 11:47 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-06-30 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sukalpa Chanda, gcc-help

Hi Sukalpa,

There may be some fellow Red Hat Linux enthusiasts in this forum that can
answer your question.

But your question is off-topic for this forum.  The charter of this forum
is dealing with GCC itself.  Not with compiling Linux kernels.

Isn't there a Red Hat Linux kernel forum that would have a concentration of
Red Hat Linux enthusiasts?

Sincerely,
--Eljay

* Re: gcc 2.96  in RH 7.3 unable to compile original kernel 2.4.9.9
@ 2004-06-30 11:30 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2004-06-30 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sukalpa Chanda; +Cc: gcc-help

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 04:54:47PM +0530, Sukalpa Chanda wrote:
> Hi,
>           I am a linux fanatic  from  india , I have got redhat linux
> 7.3(original not pc quest version) in my pc , but i want to add   kernel
> 2.4.9.9( downloaded from www.kernel.org) to it , but the existing gcc
> (version 2.96) was unable to compile it,i tried with an rpm of gcc 2.95 ,
> it has failed also.
> can any body please help me  regarding this .
> please answer me soon.

Hi,

didn't you subscribe to the list (gcc-help)? You seem to have missed my reply.

You can read it here: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2004-06/msg00215.html

Cheers.
--
Claudio

* gcc 2.96  in RH 7.3 unable to compile original kernel 2.4.9.9
@ 2004-06-30 11:24 Sukalpa Chanda
From: Sukalpa Chanda @ 2004-06-30 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,
           I am a linux fanatic  from  india , I have got redhat linux
7.3(original not pc quest version) in my pc , but i want to add   kernel
2.4.9.9( downloaded from www.kernel.org) to it , but the existing gcc
(version 2.96) was unable to compile it,i tried with an rpm of gcc 2.95 , it
has failed also.
can any body please help me  regarding this .
please answer me soon.

Looking for something? Cant find it anywhere?
http://go.msnserver.com/IN/50756.asp Log onto baazee.com

* Re: gcc 2.96  in RH 7.3 unable to compile original kernel 2.4.9.9
@ 2004-06-21 10:33 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2004-06-21 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:00:22PM +0530, Sukalpa Chanda wrote:
> Hi,
>           I am a linux fanatic  from  india , I have got redhat linux
> 7.3(original not pc quest version) in my pc , but i want to add   kernel
> 2.4.9.9( downloaded from www.kernel.org) to it ,

why not use the latest 2.4 version of the kernel? (2.4.26)
Or, if you don't have any objections (such as a special device which is not
yet supported) just use a 2.6 kernel...

> but the existing gcc
> (version 2.96) was unable to compile it,

Redhat's GCC 2.96 was never able/useful to compile a kernel, AFAIK. Instead,
Redhat included a special compiler called kgcc (for "kernel gcc") in its 7.x
distributions for the single purpose of compiling a kernel with it.

On Redhat 7.3 it comes in a package called "compat-egcs-6.2-1.1.2.16".

> i tried with an rpm of gcc 2.95 ,
> it has failed also.

What do you mean? Did it fail to compile the kernel or fail to install?

> only it got compiled in a pc with redhat linux 8. i
> checked the version of gcc there, it is 3.2 there. But I could`nt find any
> rpm of gcc 3.2 for redhat linux 7.3.

AFAIK, there is no RPM of GCC version 3.x for Redhat 7.3. However,
you may as well install it yourself from sources. Read the install instructions
here: http://gcc.gnu.org/install/.

--
claudio

* gcc 2.96  in RH 7.3 unable to compile original kernel 2.4.9.9
@ 2004-06-21  6:30 Sukalpa Chanda
From: Sukalpa Chanda @ 2004-06-21  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,
           I am a linux fanatic  from  india , I have got redhat linux
7.3(original not pc quest version) in my pc , but i want to add   kernel
2.4.9.9( downloaded from www.kernel.org) to it , but the existing gcc
(version 2.96) was unable to compile it,i tried with an rpm of gcc 2.95 , it
has failed also. only it got compiled in a pc with redhat linux 8. i checked
the version of gcc there, it is 3.2 there. But I could`nt find any rpm of
gcc 3.2 for redhat linux 7.3.
can any body please help me  regarding this .
please answer me soon.

Pay Cash on delivery on lakhs of products.
http://go.msnserver.com/IN/50757.asp Only on Baazee.com