* RE: Turning warning off
@ 2006-08-31 19:45 Kaz Kylheku
From: Kaz Kylheku @ 2006-08-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

> rod.niner@gm.com wrote:
> Lots of compilers have the ability to turn off a particular warning
> message,

Right, and people know about that from reading their user manuals.

* RE: Turning warning off
@ 2006-08-31 21:40 ` Young, Michael
From: Young, Michael @ 2006-08-31 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaz Kylheku, gcc-help

I went to look in the documentation for this, because I am interested, too.
I did see section 3.8 - "Options to Request or Suppress Warnings", but I did not find exactly what I was hoping for.  Specifically, I'm looking for a way to turn off a specific warning inline, with the ability to restore it again - analogous to the #pragma warning directive supported in MS VC++ (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclang/html/_predir_warning.asp for details).
I did a web search for this, too, and found that others have asked similar questions, but never found a definitive answer.  Based on this, I would assume that the answer is "no, the functionality you're looking for is not implemented in gcc".
Does anyone know anything contrary to this?

* Re: Turning warning off
@ 2006-08-31 18:58 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2006-08-31 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rod.niner; +Cc: gcc-help

rod.niner@gm.com writes:

 > Lots of compilers have the ability to turn off a particular warning
 > message, does Gcc?
 > Because I am setting and not "using" a register (bread crumb)  until a
 > reset occurs I get a warning message about value not being used.
 > I can add a note in code but it would be better that I could add something
 > to code to prevent this known (and acceptable warning)

I'm not sure about that warning.  Better to mark the register
__attribute__((unused)).

Andrew.

* Turning warning off
@ 2006-08-31 18:03 rod.niner