* gcc 3.2 posix thread support on HP-UX
@ 2006-01-31  1:24 Jayaram Subramani
From: Jayaram Subramani @ 2006-01-31  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

We're planning to port an application to HP-UX 11i (v1 & v2) using gcc 3.2 and the implementation uses Posix threads.

Here is a statement from GCC website that I need some clarification with:
Thread support is not implemented in GCC 3.0 through 3.2, so the --enable-threads configure option does not work. In 3.3 and later, POSIX threads are supported.
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#hppa-hp-hpux

Does it mean - gcc itself cannot use pthreads in the 3.2 version, so gcc itself is a single-threaded program OR
- gcc cannot correctly build code which uses pthreads ?

Please clarify.

Thanks in Advance!

Sincerely,
Jayaram.

* Re: gcc 3.2 posix thread support on HP-UX
@ 2006-01-31 13:03 ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2006-01-31 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jayaram Subramani, MSX to GCC

Hi Jayaram,

> Does it mean - gcc itself cannot use pthreads in the 3.2 version, so gcc
> itself is a single-threaded program OR
> - gcc cannot correctly build code which uses pthreads ?

It means GCC cannot correctly build code which uses pthreads.

Certain critical functions in the C/C++ standard library may not be
re-entrant.  For example, perhaps the malloc and free functions are not
thread-savvy -- that would be bad.

I recommend using GCC 4.0.2.

Note:  in GCC 3.4, the option is --enable-threads=posix (no longer
--enable-threads=pthreads).

HTH,
--Eljay