* RE: Where are the socket libraries?
@ 2000-12-08 11:33 Anderjaska, John
From: Anderjaska, John @ 2000-12-08 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Robert Nail', Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi,

I'll put in my 2 cents on this one.  First of all I don't think
"333.444.555.6" is a valid IP address.  There may be a conversion problem
w/inet_addr.  Also I suspect your assignments of 'serv'.  It also appears
that you did not setup the transport end point.  You might try this:

#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#define SvrSocketNo 777
#define SIZE sizeof(struct sockaddr_in)

int sockfd;
char c;

struct sockaddr_in server = {AF_INET, SvrSocketNo};
sockfd = (int)socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM,0);
connect(sockfd, (struct sockaddr *)&server, SIZE);
.
.
.
len = send(sockfd, &c, 1, 0);

Good Luck .. John

The source I have is below:

The error messages I get when trying to gcc this stuff is:

request for member "sin_family" in something not a structure or union
request for member "sin_addr" in something not a structure or union
request for member "sin_port" in something not a structure or union

The only place I can find sin_family and such is on /usr/include/linux/in.h.
I have tried to include <linux/in.h> but it makes no difference.  All help
will be appreciated.  Thanks

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>

main()
{
 int i,j;
 int sock1;
 char ibuf[BUFSIZ];

 struct sockaddr *serv;
 memset(&serv,0,sizeof(serv));

 serv.sin_family = AF_INET;
 serv.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr("333.444.555.6");
 serv.sin_port = htons(777);

 if(connect(sock1, (struct sockaddr*) &serv,sizeof(serv)) < 0)
  printf("Error on connect\n");

 i = write(sock1,"This is test1",13);
 i = read(sock1,ibuf,20);
 printf("Ibuf: %s\n",ibuf);
}

From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-12-08 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Nail; +Cc: gcc-help

On Dec  8, 2000, "Robert Nail" <robert.nail@entact.net> wrote:

> request for member "sin_family" in something not a structure or union
> request for member "sin_addr" in something not a structure or union
> request for member "sin_port" in something not a structure or union

serv is a pointer, so use `->' instead of `.'.

* Re: Where are the socket libraries?
@ 2000-12-08  6:56     ` Robert Nail

@ 2000-12-07 21:11   ` Curtis R Anderson
From: Curtis R Anderson @ 2000-12-07 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Nail; +Cc: gcc-help

Robert Nail wrote:

> I try to link a simple socket program for Linux 6.0 but it can't find the
> SOCKADDR structure. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Try:
#include <sys/socket.h>
--
Curtis R. Anderson, Co-creator of "Gleepy the Hen", SP 2.5?, KoX
No digital wireless, no xDSL, no pagers. Keeps the riff-raff out.

* Re: Where are the socket libraries?
@ 2000-12-07  8:36   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-12-07  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Nail; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2000-12-07  7:24 ` Robert Nail
From: Robert Nail @ 2000-12-07  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I try to link a simple socket program for Linux 6.0 but it can't find the
SOCKADDR structure. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks