From: John Love-Jensen <eljay@adobe.com>
To: Lin George <george4academic@yahoo.com>,
	MSX to GCC <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: to reduce footprint
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:30:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi George,

> Could you provide some references to them?

The C++ Programming Language (special edition) by Stroustrup

Chapter 13 in particular.

Other highly recommended references in general...

C++ FAQs by Cline, Lomow, Girou

Large-Scale C++ Software Design by Lakos

C++ Coding Standards by Sutter, Alexandrescu

Exceptional C++ by Sutter

More Exceptional C++ by Sutter

Exceptional C++ Style by Sutter

Debugging the Development Process by Maguire

Code Complete by McConnell

Writing Solid Code by Maguire

> Could you provide some reference about weak linker and a strong (explicit
linker)?

Know your linkage: weak, vague, strong, external, static.  (I probably
missed a few.)

Google turned up this URL:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFrameworks/Conc
epts/WeakLinking.html

> I can understand what you mean, but I do not know why if header files emit
code, the footprint will be larger?

If a header emits stuff, then every translation that includes that header
will emit that code.  If you have 1000 source files which include that
header, you will have 1000 copies of the stuff emitted by that header.

So, yes, the footprint will be larger.

> gcc manual does not contain much information about these parameters. Could you
briefly introduce the functions of them?

I'm not that familiar with them, myself.  They are not supported on the
platforms I use.

I can only refer you to the GCC manual.

HTH,
--Eljay