* gcc errors - need help
@ 2007-02-01 10:43 Raman M
From: Raman M @ 2007-02-01 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,
I am encountering the following errors while building the gnu product(s)

1. when trying to build glib
../glib-2.12.4/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gtk
produces the following error
checking for msgfmt... no
configure: error:
*** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use the
*** GNU gettext library. (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html

2. so I downloaded the gettext source and began to build it,
The configure command executes fine.
When I then follow it with a make install, I get the following error after
some time.
Making install in intl-csharp
make[2]: Entering directory
`/root/debs/extracts/gettextobj/gettext-runtime/intl-csharp'
/bin/sh ../lib/csharpcomp.sh -O -g -o GNU.Gettext.dll
../../../gettext-0.14/gettext-runtime/intl-csharp/intl.cs
C# compiler not found, try installing pnet, then reconfigure
make[2]: *** [GNU.Gettext.dll] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/root/debs/extracts/gettextobj/gettext-runtime/intl-csharp'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/debs/extracts/gettextobj/gettext-runtime'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

3.and when I try building glibc, I get the following error

make[1]: *** No rule to make target
`/root/debs/extracts/glibcobj/Versions.all', needed by
`/root/debs/extracts/glibcobj/abi-versions.h'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/debs/extracts/glibc-2.4'

I will much appreciate help in helping get over these hurdles.
many thanks in advance

regards
Raman

MSN Cricket: Celebrating a nationÂ’s obsession
http://content.msn.co.in/Sports/Cricket/Default.aspx

* Re: gcc errors - need help
@ 2007-02-01 21:48 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2007-02-01 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raman M; +Cc: gcc-help

Raman M wrote:

> I am encountering the following errors while building the gnu product(s)

Wrong list.  This is for help using gcc.  Your question doesn't have
anything to do with gcc but with building certain packages, each of
which are independant and unrelated projects and have their own mailing
lists.

> 1. when trying to build glib
> ../glib-2.12.4/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gtk
> produces the following error
> checking for msgfmt... no
> configure: error:
> *** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use the
> *** GNU gettext library. (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html

> 2. so I downloaded the gettext source and began to build it,
> The configure command executes fine.
> When I then follow it with a make install, I get the following error after
> some time.
> Making install in intl-csharp
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/root/debs/extracts/gettextobj/gettext-runtime/intl-csharp'
> /bin/sh ../lib/csharpcomp.sh -O -g -o GNU.Gettext.dll
> ../../../gettext-0.14/gettext-runtime/intl-csharp/intl.cs
> C# compiler not found, try installing pnet, then reconfigure
> make[2]: *** [GNU.Gettext.dll] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/root/debs/extracts/gettextobj/gettext-runtime/intl-csharp'
> make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/debs/extracts/gettextobj/gettext-runtime'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

bug-gnu-gettext AT gnu.org

> 3.and when I try building glibc, I get the following error
>
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> `/root/debs/extracts/glibcobj/Versions.all', needed by
> `/root/debs/extracts/glibcobj/abi-versions.h'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/debs/extracts/glibc-2.4'
>
> I will much appreciate help in helping get over these hurdles.
> many thanks in advance

libc-alpha AT sourceware.org

* Re: gcc errors - need help
@ 2007-02-02  4:35   ` Raman M
From: Raman M @ 2007-02-02  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

thanks, and sorry for bothering you with inappropriate questions

Raman

>From: Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net>
>To: Raman M <m_raman_m@hotmail.com>
>CC: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
>Subject: Re: gcc errors - need help
>Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:47:55 -0800
>
>Raman M wrote:
>
> > I am encountering the following errors while building the gnu product(s)
>
>Wrong list.  This is for help using gcc.  Your question doesn't have
>anything to do with gcc but with building certain packages, each of
>which are independant and unrelated projects and have their own mailing
>lists.
>
> > 1. when trying to build glib
> > ../glib-2.12.4/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gtk
> > produces the following error
> > checking for msgfmt... no
> > configure: error:
> > *** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use
>the
> > *** GNU gettext library.
>(http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html

> > 2. so I downloaded the gettext source and began to build it,
> > The configure command executes fine.
> > When I then follow it with a make install, I get the following error
>after
> > some time.
> > Making install in intl-csharp
> > make[2]: Entering directory
> > `/root/debs/extracts/gettextobj/gettext-runtime/intl-csharp'
> > /bin/sh ../lib/csharpcomp.sh -O -g -o GNU.Gettext.dll
> > ../../../gettext-0.14/gettext-runtime/intl-csharp/intl.cs
> > C# compiler not found, try installing pnet, then reconfigure
> > make[2]: *** [GNU.Gettext.dll] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/root/debs/extracts/gettextobj/gettext-runtime/intl-csharp'
> > make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
>`/root/debs/extracts/gettextobj/gettext-runtime'
> > make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>
>bug-gnu-gettext AT gnu.org
>
> > 3.and when I try building glibc, I get the following error
> >
> > make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> > `/root/debs/extracts/glibcobj/Versions.all', needed by
> > `/root/debs/extracts/glibcobj/abi-versions.h'.  Stop.
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/debs/extracts/glibc-2.4'
> >
> > I will much appreciate help in helping get over these hurdles.
> > many thanks in advance
>
>libc-alpha AT sourceware.org

Spice up your IM conversations. New, colorful and animated emoticons. Get
chatting! http://server1.msn.co.in/SP05/emoticons/

* Re: gcc errors - need help
@ 2007-02-02 11:47     ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2007-02-02 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raman M, MSX to GCC

Hi Raman,

> thanks, and sorry for bothering you with inappropriate questions

It's not that the questions are inappropriate in-as-much as the collective
expertise on this forum isn't concentrated in the domains you are interested
in.

As I read it, the intent of Brian's response was not to chastise you, but to
help you find the answers you seek from knowledge-experts in the domains you
are inquiring about.

Sincerely,
--Eljay