* gcc 2.95.3 cannot create executables
@ 2001-06-28  6:59 Paul Scott
From: Paul Scott @ 2001-06-28  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi,

I have struggled in vain to compile gcc 295.3 the persistant error i receive
after make is:

checking if compiler cc1chill has been built... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... (cached) /tools/gnu/gnucc/gcc-2.95.3/gcc/xgcc
-B/tools/gnu/gnucc/gcc-2.95.3/gcc/ -B/usr/local/i386-pc-solaris2.8/bin/
checking whether the C compiler (/tools/gnu/gnucc/gcc-2.95.3/gcc/xgcc
-B/tools/gnu/gnucc/gcc-2.95.3/gcc/ -B/usr/local/i386-pc-solaris2.8/bin/ -O6
) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

I'm running Sun Solaris 8 for intel (x86).
environment is (one example of many env's used).

PWD=/export/home/admin/gcc
TZ=GB
_INIT_RUN_NPREV=0
LC_MESSAGES=C
HZ=100
HOSTNAME=crichton
_INIT_RUN_LEVEL=3
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:lib:/usr/local/lib
_INIT_UTS_ISA=i386
_INIT_UTS_SYSNAME=SunOS
_INIT_UTS_RELEASE=5.8
CC=gcc
_INIT_PREV_LEVEL=S
LC_TIME=en_GB.ISO8859-1
MACHTYPE=i386-sun-solaris
MAIL=/var/mail/admin
OLDPWD=/export/home/admin/gcc/gcc
_INIT_UTS_VERSION=Generic_108529-06
LC_NUMERIC=en_GB.ISO8859-1
DISPLAY=vulcan:0.0
LOGNAME=admin
_INIT_UTS_NODENAME=crichton
_INIT_UTS_PLATFORM=i86pc
SHLVL=1
LC_CTYPE=en_GB.ISO8859-1
_INIT_UTS_MACHINE=i86pc
SHELL=/usr/bin/bash
HOSTTYPE=i386
OSTYPE=solaris
HOME=/export/home/admin
TERM=dtterm
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/local
/lib:/usr/lib/:lib:/usr/local/include:.
LC_MONETARY=en_GB.ISO8859-1
LC_COLLATE=en_GB.ISO8859-1
_INIT_NET_STRATEGY=none

Youll no doubt notice a few common env vars (GCC, CXX etc) but the problem
persist with or without the defined. The Path var is an attempt to include
all things lib like again though the path can be as long as you like with
just about everything including the kitchen sink in it or a very short
required only path.

I have also used configure as plain vanilla or with various prefix etc to
preclude pathing / perms problems. This has all been done as either a user
(admin) or as root.

configure reports no issues, so configuration goes well (at least from an
error output point of view).

run make and several times during make you will see the "creation" problem
rear it's ugly head.

Looking through every man page, doc and everthing in install as well as all
news groups appropriate and some not all I see is my question. no useful
answers or even pointers to something new that i have tried.

I have also tried make bootstrap (with and without lean option) and the same
error.

You may be thinking my this time maybe he should compile an app and that
should tell him where the problem is, Wrong ! the install 2.95.3 binary
works and compiles everything from a hello world program to more complex
sources. It cannot however compile things like mysql and php and so on since
it reckons that the compiler is a cross compiler i aksed and was told quite
categorically that the 295.3 binary on sunfreeware.com is not a cross
compiler. It was suggest that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH may be wrong, I have tried
modifying that uses all variations on paths again no luck.

So I guess my question is, Has anybody seen this before and how did they
overcome it.
I might add though that it did compile for me a while ago but won't now. My
memory on this point in time is fuzzy and i'm unsure what patch state the
machine itself was in, however it is now at the following level:

uname -a SunOS crichton 5.8 Generic_108529-06 i86pc i386 i86pc
cat /etc/release         Solaris 8 10/00 s28x_u2wos_11 INTEL
           Copyright 2000 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                            Assembled 28 August 2000
                     Solaris 8 Maintenance Update 3 applied

I have this problem on an all scsi (hdd/cdrom) p3-850mhz intel and an all
ide amd athlon 1ghz both with 512mb memory. other than the compilation
problems no other issues have been seen with the machines so i have reason
to suspect problems with the hardware etc. The problem does not seem to
persist on a sparc (ultra 5, 220r etc).

Many thanks for listeneing and hopefully a whole bunch of wonderful

Regards...

Paul Scott.

except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of IBNet
Plc.

disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please
request a hard-copy version.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-06-28  6:59 UTC | newest]