* How to uninstall pre-installed previous version and install new
@ 2014-08-05  3:45 Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
From: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari @ 2014-08-05  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

My RHEL6.1 has pre installed gcc (GCC) 4.4.5 20110214 (Red Hat
4.4.5-6). I want to update it to latest version. I don't have red hat
subscription and therefore I'll have to install from source. How can I
uninstall this version and install a more recent version of GCC.

Thanks
Ahsan

* Re: How to uninstall pre-installed previous version and install new
@ 2014-08-05  8:37 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2014-08-05  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari; +Cc: gcc-help

On 5 August 2014 04:45, Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari wrote:
> My RHEL6.1 has pre installed gcc (GCC) 4.4.5 20110214 (Red Hat
> 4.4.5-6). I want to update it to latest version. I don't have red hat
> subscription and therefore I'll have to install from source. How can I
> uninstall this version

"yum erase gcc" but I would advise against doing that.

> and install a more recent version of GCC.

It's a bad idea to replace the system compiler, just install a newer
version in a different path.

* Re: How to uninstall pre-installed previous version and install new
@ 2014-08-05  9:22   ` Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
From: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari @ 2014-08-05  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc-help

Thanks Jonathan for your suggestions.

--
 Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
 Electronic Engineer

* Re: How to uninstall pre-installed previous version and install new
@ 2014-08-05  9:32   ` Ángel González
From: Ángel González @ 2014-08-05  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari, gcc-help

On 05/08/14 10:37, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 5 August 2014 04:45, Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari wrote:
>> My RHEL6.1 has pre installed gcc (GCC) 4.4.5 20110214 (Red Hat
>> 4.4.5-6). I want to update it to latest version. I don't have red hat
>> subscription and therefore I'll have to install from source. How can I
>> uninstall this version
> "yum erase gcc" but I would advise against doing that.
>
>> and install a more recent version of GCC.
> It's a bad idea to replace the system compiler, just install a newer
> version in a different path.
Specially if you attempt to remove it before having the new one ready,
as you won't be able to install from source (thus compil¡ng) the new
version
without a working compiler.

* Re: How to uninstall pre-installed previous version and install new
@ 2014-08-05 16:54     ` Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
From: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari @ 2014-08-05 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ángel González; +Cc: Jonathan Wakely, gcc-help

Yes I did that before, I removed the gcc and when I tried to build a
new gcc from source it crashed complaining that no C compiler is
present. Isn't it weird that installation of C compiler needs C
compiler as a pre-requisite.?

--

@ 2014-08-05 17:10       ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2014-08-05 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari; +Cc: Ángel González, gcc-help

On 5 August 2014 17:54, Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari wrote:
> Yes I did that before, I removed the gcc and when I tried to build a
> new gcc from source it crashed complaining that no C compiler is
> present. Isn't it weird that installation of C compiler needs C
> compiler as a pre-requisite.?

You don't need a compiler to install a C compiler, you need a compiler
to *compile* a C compiler, just like you need a compiler to compile
any program.

If you just want to install gcc you use 'yum' or 'rpm' to do that,
instead of compiling it yourself.

If you want to compile gcc, obviously you need a compiler of some kind.

It might seem weird but it's not, it's quite normal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_%28compilers%29

* Re: How to uninstall pre-installed previous version and install new
@ 2014-08-06  2:43       ` Quanyang Liu
From: Quanyang Liu @ 2014-08-06  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 08/06/14 00:54, Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari wrote:
> Yes I did that before, I removed the gcc and when I tried to build a
> new gcc from source it crashed complaining that no C compiler is
> present. Isn't it weird that installation of C compiler needs C
> compiler as a pre-requisite.?

Why did you do that ... It's amazing.

--
Quanyang Liu (刘全阳)
Undergraduate

* Re: How to uninstall pre-installed previous version and install new
@ 2014-08-06  3:17         ` Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
From: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari @ 2014-08-06  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: Ángel González, gcc-help

Well explained Jonathan
Thanks

@ 2014-08-06 10:11           ` Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
From: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari @ 2014-08-06 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: Ángel González, gcc-help

I have set following paths in .bashrc to correspond to the latest
installation of gcc
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/gcc-4.9.1/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/gcc-4.9.1/lib:/opt/gcc-4.9.1/lib64

but still on run time the previous binaries/libraries are being found

[rcm@rcm ~]$ which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc

How to handle this?

--

@ 2014-08-06 10:24             ` Kyrill Tkachov
From: Kyrill Tkachov @ 2014-08-06 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari, Jonathan Wakely
  Cc: Ángel González, gcc-help

On 06/08/14 11:11, Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari wrote:
> I have set following paths in .bashrc to correspond to the latest
> installation of gcc
> export PATH=$PATH:/opt/gcc-4.9.1/bin
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/gcc-4.9.1/lib:/opt/gcc-4.9.1/lib64
>
> but still on run time the previous binaries/libraries are being found
>
> [rcm@rcm ~]$ which gcc
> /usr/bin/gcc
>
> How to handle this?

PATH is usually read left to right, so you'd want to add your new path
to the beginning like so:

export PATH=/opt/gcc-4.9.1/bin:$PATH

Kyrill

@ 2014-08-06 12:51               ` Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
From: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari @ 2014-08-06 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyrill Tkachov; +Cc: Jonathan Wakely, Ángel González, gcc-help

Thank you Kyrill. Now the new path is being read. Does the same hold
for LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

--

@ 2014-08-06 13:19                 ` Raghunath Lolur
From: Raghunath Lolur @ 2014-08-06 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari; +Cc: gcc-help

Yes, the same holds for LD_LIBRARY_PATH also.

In fact, a program/library will be searched in the order of sequence
of path specified from left to right in its corresponding environment
variable.

Regards,
Raghunath Lolur.