* Section pragmas
@ 2020-04-14 23:20 Yousef
From: Yousef @ 2020-04-14 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, gcc

Hi

I am very shocked to find out that GCC GNU does not support section
pragams. I have to declare an attribute for every single variable and
function for hundreds of files where I can just use few pragmas on other
compilers.

I do not understand why would GNU discourage the use of pragmas where they
can be so useful. I understand that I can use linked scripts but that
requires organization of object files and for a lot of cases it is much
more effective to do that in the codebase. I am really really shocked!!

I hope future releases will change this attitude against pragmas. Very
disappointing!

Is there any way that I can use the attribution section for multiple lines
of code rather than doing it for every line? (No I will not do it in a
linker script)

Thanks!

* Re: Section pragmas
@ 2020-04-15  6:15 ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2020-04-15  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yousef; +Cc: gcc-help

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 1:22 AM Yousef via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am very shocked to find out that GCC GNU does not support section
> pragams. I have to declare an attribute for every single variable and
> function for hundreds of files where I can just use few pragmas on other
> compilers.
>
> I do not understand why would GNU discourage the use of pragmas where they
> can be so useful. I understand that I can use linked scripts but that
> requires organization of object files and for a lot of cases it is much
> more effective to do that in the codebase. I am really really shocked!!
>
> I hope future releases will change this attitude against pragmas. Very
> disappointing!
>
> Is there any way that I can use the attribution section for multiple lines
> of code rather than doing it for every line? (No I will not do it in a
> linker script)

Please don't cross-post.

You can use a macro to make the repetition shorter/nicer:

#define SEC_FOO __attribute__((section("foo")))

void SEC_FOO bar() {}

GCC is a community effort and any help is welcome - if you're in the
need of a feature feel free to contribute!

Richard.

> Thanks!

* section pragmas
@ 1999-10-01  0:00 ` bwaisnor
From: bwaisnor @ 1999-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Does gcc support #pragma section like my DIAB compiler?????? I need to
define some sections for my application.

thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

* section pragmas
@ 1999-09-30 23:56 ` bwaisnor