HI, For some reason my follow-up hasn't made it through. On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 11:27 AM Tom Kacvinsky wrote: > Those aren't binutils linker warnings. Those are coming from the system > linker. Which probably means you are using the system assembler, too. Or > maybe even the odd case where you're using binutils for the assembler but > the system linker. > > Can you try with using binutils for the assembler and linker? I am > assuming you either have an older version of GCC for building the newer > version of it, or perhaps you have the Sun Pro compilers. In any case, you > could use whichever bootstrap compiler you have to build binutils, and then > put they binutils in PATH. The GCC configure script should then chose > those for building. I missed that you're on AIX. So either you're using an older version of GCC to bootstrap, or IBM's xlc/xlC compilers to bootstrap. Here is a thought I had up re-thinking this. This might be an architecture problem. Which version of the POWER chips are you using? YOu might have to force the GCC configuration process to use -march to specify the right processor. But as far as I know, the configure script should be smart enough to figure that out. It's been about ten years since I used the xlc/xlC compilers, so I am not sure how one would select the architecture they want.