From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
To: Mark Petronic <Mark.Petronic@hughes.com>
Cc: "gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Build error try to build GCC 4.2.4 using GCC 4.8.2 on Fedora 20
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 14 January 2014 19:15, Mark Petronic wrote:

> I followed the good build instructions on the GNU web site and I believe my build server is setup up properly to do a build of GCC. It is clean install of Fedora 20. The build gets well along and then I get error below. Below is the configure output and a snippet of the end of the console output where the build fails.

The problem doesn't look like it's due to your setup, it looks as
though GCC 4.2 had some invalid code which is rejected by the stricter
GCC 4.8 compiler.

> Any tips you might give are greatly appreciated.

What should work, but is quite tedious, is to use 4.8 to build
something intermediate, say 4.5, and use that to build 4.2.

If that still fails, build an extra intermediate step, or steps.