On Mon, 4 Dec 2023, 04:38 Xi Ruoyao, wrote: > On Mon, 2023-12-04 at 00:34 +0000, Jonny Grant wrote: > > Is it this page? > > > > https://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html > > > > How about changing this line to clarify make just say building within > the src tree does not work, and is unsupported? > > > > Change from: > > "First, we highly recommend that GCC be built into a separate directory" > > > > To: > > "First, we only support building GCC from a separate directory" > > This paragraph has been updated to: > > First, we highly recommend that GCC be built into a separate directory > from the sources which does not reside within the source tree. This is > how we generally build GCC; building where objdir is a subdirectory of > srcdir should work as well; building where objdir == srcdir is > unsupported. > > Richard told me using a new subdirectory in srcdir as objdir works fine > and *is* supported (i. e. if it somehow stops to work we'll fix). But > objdir == srcdir has been broken for a long time and there is no > intention to make it "work". > > The FAQ is a different page: https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure i.e. the link I sent in my first reply.