* new to GCC
@ 2011-10-27 18:28 albert kasenter
From: albert kasenter @ 2011-10-27 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I would like ( at my late age  of 68 ) to learn more about computing and
since I do program some in C++ and Java I would like to install GCC on my
system.  I am on the mailing list and receive the update emails but when
I go to the site all I see is a boatload of files.  Is there a site or a
publication that would tell me what to download and how to install.
When I was in college we only had punch cards.

Sorry if this is of no interest to you all.

Albert

* Re: new to GCC
@ 2011-10-27 18:34 Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2011-10-27 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: albert kasenter; +Cc: gcc-help

> I would like ( at my late age  of 68 ) to learn more about computing and
> since I do program some in C++ and Java I would like to install GCC on my
> system.  I am on the mailing list and receive the update emails but when
> I go to the site all I see is a boatload of files.  Is there a site or a
> publication that would tell me what to download and how to install.
> When I was in college we only had punch cards.
>
> Sorry if this is of no interest to you all.

No, it's pretty cool.

I still have a DEC VT220 terminal in my server room. Works great.

So the real issue here is what OS are you running? You see, you can
generally get GCC ready to run on a whole whack of operating systems. I
have no clue how people do things on Windows but at least in the
Linux/UNIX world things are fairly easy.

So I hope you have Linux.

If not then someone else has to chime in on the Windows situation.

Dennis

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x1D936C72FA35B44B
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Dennis Clarke           | Solaris and Linux and Open Source |
| dclarke@blastwave.org   | Respect for open standards.       |
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------+

* new to gcc
@ 2014-03-26 14:53 albert.kasenter
From: albert.kasenter @ 2014-03-26 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi I am a retired Medical Physicist and would like to know more about
programming

I downloaded a snapshot of  gcc 4.8 and now have it untarred and
uncompressed in a folder under windows 7
Where can I find information on how to configure and use it.

Albert Kasenter

-----
No virus found in this message.