On Tue, 13 Jun 2023, 13:36 Randy Galbraith via Gcc-help, < gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote: > On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 6:50 PM David Edelsohn wrote: > > > >>> Randy Galbraith wrote: > > > > > We have a need to match gcc version on Red Hat GNU/Linux 7. I am > looking > > > forward to newer GCC once Red Hat is upgraded. However, that will > likely > > > break our build. We elevate every warning in gcc to error status that > > stops > > > the building. Thus we need to plan for that. At the moment I just need > to > > > support the AIX 7.2 upgrade. Ironically had our port to GNU/Linux been > > > completed this would not be an issue. Cheers, -Randy > > > > Red Hat provides newer releases of GCC through the GCC Toolset > > package, but that may be limited to RHEL 8. RHEL 7 is quite old. > > > > Does your AIX 7.2 system have all of the latest Technology Levels > > (TLs) and Service Packs (SPs) installed? There have been many > > assembler and linker fixes. > > > > If you still have GCC 4.9.2 from the AIX 7.1 system, you should be > > able to continue to use it. You can rebuild the "fixed" headers > > without rebuilding the entire compiler. I don't believe that anyone > > has tried bootstrapping GCC with XLC in a very long time. > > > > GCC builds and works with AIX Assembler and AIX Linker. Until > > recently, GNU Assembler and GNU Linker were out of date on AIX 7.x and > > produced corrupted object files. The latest GNU Binutils functions. > > It might be better to ensure that the AIX tools are used (AIX as, ld, > > ar). > > > > GCC 4.9 is very old. I don't have any intuition about why GCC (without > > any optimization) would generate unusual code for ferror(). Again, I > > would ensure that you are not using the GNU Assembler for your > > bootstrap. > > > > Thanks, David > > > > I am trying to land a new GCC compiler to address the break related to > fixed headers. If these could be rebuilt without having to land a new > compiler I would be most interested in the steps to do that! Any advice on > where to start with that? Cheers, -Randy > See https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Fixed-Headers.html which describes the mkheaders script. That is installed as part of the GCC installation, and running it will update the fixed headers.