* print gcc optimization log
@ 2012-08-16 10:58 Xin Tong
From: Xin Tong @ 2012-08-16 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I sometimes run into issues where i want to figure out why gcc is
performing a specific optimization and what the optimization affects
the tree. is there any documents on how to print gcc optimizations and
code generation logs ?

Xin

* Re: print gcc optimization log
@ 2012-08-16 11:36 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-08-16 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Tong; +Cc: gcc-help

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Xin Tong <xerox.time.tech@gmail.com> wrote:
> I sometimes run into issues where i want to figure out why gcc is
> performing a specific optimization and what the optimization affects
> the tree. is there any documents on how to print gcc optimizations and
> code generation logs ?

Unfortunately GCC has very little in the way of logs intended for end
users.  About all I know is the -ftree-vectorizer-verbose information,
which gives useful feedback about the vectorization optimizations.

You can a lot of information by  using -fdump-tree-all-details
-fdump-rtl-all-details, but it's difficult to interpret without the
source code and a working knowledge of GCC internals.

Ian

* Re: print gcc optimization log
@ 2012-08-16 15:37   ` Xin Tong
From: Xin Tong @ 2012-08-16 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc-help

are these options enabled on production build, i.e. build i install
with apt-get install gcc on ubuntu ?

Xin

@ 2012-08-16 18:31     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-08-16 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Tong; +Cc: gcc-help

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Xin Tong <xerox.time.tech@gmail.com> wrote:
> are these options enabled on production build, i.e. build i install
> with apt-get install gcc on ubuntu ?

Yes.

Ian