From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>
To: horseriver <horserivers@gmail.com>
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: compile linux kernel 2.6.0 failed
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 16:57:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM, horseriver <horserivers@gmail.com> wrote:

>   I am compiling 2.6.0 kernel with gcc 4.4.5 and link with ld 2.20 version.
>
>   when linking .so , output this error :
>
>   /usr/bin/ld: arch/i386/kernel/vsyscall-int80.so: Not enough room for program headers, try linking with -N
>
>   does gcc generate the program headers ? why not enough room for it ?
>
>   I guess it is because gcc version is not compitable with ld version
>
>   is there some advice ?

GCC does not generate the program headers.  The linker does.  This is
unlikely to be an issue of compatibility between GCC and ld.  In fact
this probably has nothing to do with GCC at all.  It is more likely to
be an issue of compatibility between the kernel's linker script and
the version of ld that you are using.

I don't know why this fails for you, but since GNU binutils 2.23 has
been released, I would recommend trying that.  Alternatively, since
2.6.0 is relatively old, trying using an older version of the GNU
binutils.

Ian