* Register Variables in c
@ 2014-09-18  9:15 Ali Abdul Ghani
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ali Abdul Ghani @ 2014-09-18  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

hi list
I have a question
I read about register variables
gcc Support register variables??

or treat him like any other variable??

* Re: Register Variables in c
@ 2014-09-18 11:51 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2014-09-18 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 9/18/2014 5:15 AM, Ali Abdul Ghani wrote:
> I have a question
> I read about register variables
> gcc Support register variables??
>
> or treat him like any other variable??
This is covered in reasonable detail in online docs, e.g.
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Explicit-Reg-Vars.html

As you're probably aware, the primary portable purpose of "register" is
to prevent taking the address.

* Re: Register Variables in c
@ 2014-09-18 22:56 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2014-09-18 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Abdul Ghani; +Cc: gcc-help

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 2:15 AM, Ali Abdul Ghani <blade.vp2020@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question
> I read about register variables
> gcc Support register variables??
>
> or treat him like any other variable??

In GCC the only meanings of the register qualifier are that you can't
the address of a register variable, and as a GCC extension you can
declare the specific register that the variable should go into.

Ian

* Re: Register Variables in c
@ 2014-09-19 11:18   ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2014-09-19 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, Ali Abdul Ghani; +Cc: gcc-help

On 19/09/14 00:56, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 2:15 AM, Ali Abdul Ghani <blade.vp2020@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a question
>> I read about register variables
>> gcc Support register variables??
>>
>> or treat him like any other variable??
>
> In GCC the only meanings of the register qualifier are that you can't
> the address of a register variable, and as a GCC extension you can
> declare the specific register that the variable should go into.

I believe the register qualifier is used as a hint when you compile
without optimisation, and will encourage the compiler to put the
variable in a register rather than on the stack.  The hint is ignored
when optimising - they are treated as any other variable (other than
making it illegal to take an address), as the compiler will do a better
job of allocating variables to registers than a human would.

David

* Re: Register Variables in c
@ 2014-09-21  1:27 ` Kayven Riese
From: Kayven Riese @ 2014-09-21  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Abdul Ghani; +Cc: gcc-help

On 9/18/14, Ali Abdul Ghani <blade.vp2020@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi list
> I have a question
> I read about register variables
> gcc Support register variables??
>
> or treat him like any other variable??

you have TO use inline assembly code. it has to bedone in assembly
language which will be machine specific. try googling using assembly
language in C. I am working on a flip phone here.

--
  Sincerely,

  Kayven Riese
  Kayven Riese, MSCS,