* gcc-ar/gcc-nm/gcc-ranlib what this?
@ 2011-12-22 13:08 niXman
From: niXman @ 2011-12-22 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello list!

I try to build gcc from trunk sources for windows OS (MinGW), and
found gcc-ar/gcc-nm/gcc-ranlib programs in the bin directory.

Two weeks ago when I've been building gcc(mingw) these programs was
called: ar/nm/ranlib. I'm confused with the theirs size: 33 806 bytes.
When I start them I get error: "sorry - this program has been built
without plugin support"
Tell me, will these programs been called like this further? And why do
I get this error message?

Regards.

* Re: gcc-ar/gcc-nm/gcc-ranlib what this?
@ 2012-03-08  6:45     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-03-08  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: niXman; +Cc: gcc-help

niXman <i.nixman@gmail.com> writes:

>> I try to build gcc from trunk sources for windows OS (MinGW), and
>> found gcc-ar/gcc-nm/gcc-ranlib programs in the bin directory.
>>
>> Two weeks ago when I've been building gcc(mingw) these programs was
>> called: ar/nm/ranlib. I'm confused with the theirs size: 33 806 bytes.
>> When I start them I get error: "sorry - this program has been built
>> without plugin support"
>> Tell me, will these programs been called like this further? And why do
>> I get this error message?

These are little wrapper programs used for LTO support to pass a plugin
to the ar/nm/ranlib programs.  This is handy to examine the contents of
LTO files.

You get the error message because they rely on passing a plugin to the
real ar/nm/ranlib programs, and your copy of those programs was built
without plugin support.  If you are building the GNU binutils yourself,
use --enable-plugins when you run configure.

Ian

* Re: gcc-ar/gcc-nm/gcc-ranlib what this?
@ 2012-03-07 19:09   ` niXman
From: niXman @ 2012-03-07 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

2012/3/7 Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>:
> On 7 March 2012 17:41, niXman wrote:
>> Ping?
>
> What are you pinging?  If you don't quote the email (and it's so long
> ago the archives don't link to it,
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2012-03/msg00083.html) then if noone
> replied last time it's unlikely they will remember the contents of
> your email.

I didn`t know that.

> Hello list!
>
> I try to build gcc from trunk sources for windows OS (MinGW), and
> found gcc-ar/gcc-nm/gcc-ranlib programs in the bin directory.
>
> Two weeks ago when I've been building gcc(mingw) these programs was
> called: ar/nm/ranlib. I'm confused with the theirs size: 33 806 bytes.
> When I start them I get error: "sorry - this program has been built
> without plugin support"
> Tell me, will these programs been called like this further? And why do
> I get this error message?

Thanks.

--
Regards,
  niXman

* Re: gcc-ar/gcc-nm/gcc-ranlib what this?
@ 2012-03-07 19:03 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-03-07 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: niXman; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2012-03-07 17:41 niXman