* Re: Need help finding Fortran compiler for C64x+ Architecture
       [not found] <33914176.post@talk.nabble.com>
@ 2012-05-27  7:48 ` Janne Blomqvist
From: Janne Blomqvist @ 2012-05-27  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adki; +Cc: fortran, gcc-help

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 2:25 AM, adki <d.akodes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am aiming to compile the FORTRAN source code from part 5a from this page:
>
> http://www.vesperix.com/arm/atlas-arm/source/index.html
>
> The architecture that I am compiling for is that of the TMS320C64x+ DSP of
> the Beagleboard (http://beagleboard.org/hardware).
>
> The architecture is c64x+. If anyone knows of any Fortran compiler that can
> do this (I'm not sure if gFortran or gcc itself can), I'd appreciate it very
> much.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the above page refers to making
ATLAS run on ARM CPU's, not on the c64x+ DSP co-processor.

GFortran should run fine on ARM; Android/ARM reportedly works, and for
a more conventional GNU-based userland such as provided by Linux
distros there should be no problem.

Wrt. the c64x+, as of the GCC 4.7 release GCC supports it, see
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.7/changes.html . That being said, GFortran
has a runtime support library (libgfortran) which needs quite a lot of
functionality from the underlying OS, so I'm sceptical that one would
be able to make that work on a DSP co-processor. You might be able to
avoid using the library if you use a limited subset of Fortran, e.g.
no I/O, many intrinsics also need the library. There might still be
problems if C6X has weird integer and/or float modes (
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Machine-Modes.html ) compared to
"traditional" architectures; I guess you can try and see how far you
get. I'm cc'ing the gcc-help list in case somebody there knows more
about C6X.

Good luck!

--
Janne Blomqvist

only message in thread, other threads:[~2012-05-27  7:48 UTC | newest]