* Re: mno-eabi option on powerpc-elf
       [not found]   ` <mcry5wt77tn.fsf@coign.corp.google.com>
@ 2011-10-10  7:38     ` Rohit Arul Raj
From: Rohit Arul Raj @ 2011-10-10  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Rohit Arul Raj <rohitarulraj@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am working with powerpc-elf tool chain v4.5.2 (with newlib).
>>
>> I need some clarification regarding the -mno-eabi option. From the GCC
>> docs, this option means that the tool chain does not adhere to EABI.
>>
>> -mno-eabi:
>>          On System V.4 and embedded PowerPC systems do not adhere to
>> the Embedded Applications Binary Interface (eabi) which is a set of
>> modifications to the System V.4 specifications.
>>
>> Does that mean if i use '-mno-eabi', it will adhere to System V.4
>> specs completely like the 'powerpc-linux' tool chain?
>
> This question would be more appropriate for the mailing list
> gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.  Please take any followups to gcc-help.  Thanks.
>
> Yes, using -mno-eabi should give you an ABI identical to standard System
> V.4.
>
> Ian

Thanks Ian.

Also it has been mentioned in the gcc/config/rs6000/rs6000.c that "A
happy side-effect is that  '-mno-eabi' libraries can be used with
'-meabi' programs". i also see the 'newlib' built with '-mno-eabi'
option.

Is using 'mno-eabi' libs with 'meabi' program conforms to ABI standard?

Thanks,
Rohit

* Re: mno-eabi option on powerpc-elf
@ 2011-10-10 13:07       ` Rohit Arul Raj
From: Rohit Arul Raj @ 2011-10-10 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Rohit Arul Raj <rohitarulraj@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>> Rohit Arul Raj <rohitarulraj@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I am working with powerpc-elf tool chain v4.5.2 (with newlib).
>>>
>>> I need some clarification regarding the -mno-eabi option. From the GCC
>>> docs, this option means that the tool chain does not adhere to EABI.
>>>
>>> -mno-eabi:
>>>          On System V.4 and embedded PowerPC systems do not adhere to
>>> the Embedded Applications Binary Interface (eabi) which is a set of
>>> modifications to the System V.4 specifications.
>>>
>>> Does that mean if i use '-mno-eabi', it will adhere to System V.4
>>> specs completely like the 'powerpc-linux' tool chain?
>>
>> This question would be more appropriate for the mailing list
>> gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.  Please take any followups to gcc-help.  Thanks.
>>
>> Yes, using -mno-eabi should give you an ABI identical to standard System
>> V.4.
>>
>> Ian
>>

> Thanks Ian.
>
> Also it has been mentioned in the gcc/config/rs6000/rs6000.c that "A
> happy side-effect is that  '-mno-eabi' libraries can be used with
> '-meabi' programs". i also see the 'newlib' built with '-mno-eabi'
> option.
>
> Is using 'mno-eabi' libs with 'meabi' program conforms to ABI standard?
>
> Thanks,
> Rohit

Got the following links which says they are compatible.
http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2002/may/msg00136.html
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.newlib/1681

Please let me know otherwise.

Thanks,