* don't have gcc for make, and no make for gcc
@ 2003-12-05  7:40 Paul McDonough
From: Paul McDonough @ 2003-12-05  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I seem to be in a catch-22.

I downloaded gcc and had it ready with its makefile. I typed "make
bootstrap" in the cygwin window. But I don't have "make" yet. Error.

So I downloaded "make" and have it ready. I type "./configure" in the cygwin
window and it says
"configure: error: no acceptable C Compiler found in $PATH".

I'm confused. If I had a C compiler, I wouldn't need "make".

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Wonder if the latest virus has gotten to your computer? Find out. Run the
FREE McAfee online computer scan!

* RE: don't have gcc for make, and no make for gcc
@ 2003-12-05  9:47 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2003-12-05  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Paul McDonough'; +Cc: gcc-help

Paul McDonough wrote up:

> I'm confused. If I had a C compiler, I wouldn't need "make".

If you're setting up GCC and make on a cygwin system then you should
download and install the cygwin binary distributions of GCC and make. These
should be part of the original install. You can't build either GCC or make
from sources without an existing, working C compiler. But you can build make
from sources without make itself - use the included build.sh script (or
similar).

Good luck,
Rup.

* Re: don't have gcc for make, and no make for gcc
@ 2003-12-05 12:37 Wayne
From: Wayne @ 2003-12-05 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

An optional part of the Cygwin package (I say optional as it is NOT
installed in the minimal installation) is the GCC compiler set, now
including C, C++ , Fortran, Java, Objective C and Ada.  Click open
the "devel" category in the Cygwin setup program and you will see
all that stuff and will be able to install it. The current version
that is avilable through setup is gcc-3.3

I recommend that folks do what I do, and click open all of the
categories once in a while...it helps you know what is available
(even Ruby is available), and lets you see what's new.

Wayne