* 32-bit vs. 64-bit host/build type - botched bootstrap and recovery
@ 2002-04-03 19:26 King, Daniel
From: King, Daniel @ 2002-04-03 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi again folks!

Is there a way to determine if a binary is 64 or 32 bit?  Or, to put it another way, what was the build-type?

hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00 is, I believe, 32-bit HP-UX, but can this be gleaned from post-compiled binaries?

I’m asking this because I started my bootstrap process thinking that the [supposed] 32-bit item was correct, and I think I’ve got a mixture of 64- and 32- bit binaries.  Pretty much a mess, but I’m learning rapidly.

I’m on an hppa64-hp-hpux11.00, 64-bit, V2200 machine, but the above should work for most cases.  I’m still awaiting permission to install the 64-bit binutils on this system - 64-bit gcc is already there.  These are distributed in software depots (which require root access – and thus more approval - to install).  Ultimately, 64-bit is where I’m headed.  At this time, 32-bit will be fine.  I’m not cross compiling unless there is a way to get the 32-bit gcc to generate a 64-bit gcc!  Build/host/target/use are on the same system.

Two things that are working well:  GNU make-3.79.1.tar.gz and binutils-2.11.2.tar.gz compiled flawlessly for hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00 using the default HP-UX cc (not ANSI C, the default which comes with the OS).  Make made with the HP-UX make just fine, then I used GNU make to make binutils.  On to gcc’s bootstrap, even at 32-bit.

Thanks in advance for your help during my HP-UX bootstrap.

A. Daniel King, System Analyst
Fiserv - Atlanta Center
1475 Peachtree Street, NE - Suite 700
Atlanta, GA 30309
404-873-2861 x2034

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-04-04  0:08 UTC | newest]