* GCC-4.3.1 source from mirror - no configure file
@ 2008-07-09 22:44 Ellis Robin (Bundaberg)
From: Ellis Robin (Bundaberg) @ 2008-07-09 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi list, I just downloaded the gcc-4.3.1 source (gcc-4.3.1.tar.gz) from
an ftp in Japan (ftp://ftp.dti.ad.jp/pub/lang/gcc/releases/gcc-4.3.1)
and have attempted to configure from my build directory on solaris 10,
only to find that I don't have a 'configure' file in my source. Is this
just a temporary glitch, or has the configuration requirements changed
since early February?

Thanks

Rob

The information in this email together with any attachments is
and/or publication of this email message is prohibited, unless
as a necessary part of Departmental business.
computer system network.

* Re: GCC-4.3.1 source from mirror - no configure file
@ 2008-07-09 23:12 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-07-09 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ellis Robin (Bundaberg); +Cc: gcc-help

"Ellis Robin (Bundaberg)" wrote:

> Hi list, I just downloaded the gcc-4.3.1 source (gcc-4.3.1.tar.gz) from
> an ftp in Japan (ftp://ftp.dti.ad.jp/pub/lang/gcc/releases/gcc-4.3.1)
> and have attempted to configure from my build directory on solaris 10,
> only to find that I don't have a 'configure' file in my source. Is this
> just a temporary glitch, or has the configuration requirements changed
> since early February?

No, nothing's changed, and there should be a configure file.  I just
checked the tarball from gcc.gnu.org and it's present there.  I suspect
you might have had a truncated/aborted download as the configure file is
located at the end of the tarball for whatever reason.  Check the md5 on
the files you have versus
<ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-4.3.1/md5.sum>.

Brian

* RE: GCC-4.3.1 source from mirror - no configure file
@ 2008-07-10  0:41   ` Ellis Robin (Bundaberg)
From: Ellis Robin (Bundaberg) @ 2008-07-10  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Thanks Brian, you're spot on. I just downloaded the source from another
site and this time bothered to check the output from 'tar -xvf', sure
enough there is an error that I didn't notice before:

gcc-4.3.1/libjava/classpath/examples/gnu/classpath/examples/CORBA/Simple
Communication/Demo.java, 3488 bytes, 7 tape blocks
gcc-4.3.1/libjava/classpath/examples/gnu/classpath/examples/CORBA/Simple
Communication/communication, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
tar: ././@LongLink: typeflag 'L' not recognized, converting to regular
file x ././@LongLink, 117 bytes, 1 tape blocks
gcc-4.3.1/libjava/classpath/examples/gnu/classpath/examples/CORBA/Simple
Communication/communication, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
tar: directory checksum error

I'll check it further, really appreciate your help

Rob

@ 2008-07-10 11:33     ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2008-07-10 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ellis Robin (Bundaberg)'; +Cc: gcc-help

:
> tar: ././@LongLink: typeflag 'L' not recognized, converting to regular

On Solaris 8 at least you get this if you're using Solaris tar instead of GNU tar - I think some path names are too long.

I'd suggest trying GNU tar - if you're lucky this might already be installed as gtar. I think you can also extract it with Solaris's pax but I forget how.

Rup.

* RE: GCC-4.3.1 source from mirror - no configure file
@ 2008-07-11  5:18       ` Ellis Robin (Bundaberg)
From: Ellis Robin (Bundaberg) @ 2008-07-11  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rupert Wood; +Cc: gcc-help

Thanks Rupert, I installed GNU tar 1.20, everything unpacked and I have
configured successfully. I'll attempt to install later.

Thanks again

Rob