* FW: gcc 3.01 installation question
@ 2001-09-26 11:28 Debbie Gilbert
From: Debbie Gilbert @ 2001-09-26 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi:

We are trying to install gcc version 3.01 onto an HPUX 10.20 platform. When
we attempt to compile <gcc -v> we see thread is single. We need to be
multi-threaded. Do you know how we can install or compile such that we are
multi-threaded?

We have been struggling with this for 2 weeks, and been unable to find a
solution, so your timely response would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou very much.

Debra Gilbert

* Re: FW: gcc 3.01 installation question
@ 2001-10-02 14:21 ` Matt Hiller
From: Matt Hiller @ 2001-10-02 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Debbie Gilbert; +Cc: gcc-help

	When running configure before building gcc, use the
--enable-threads option and configure will set up gcc to use the best
known threading libraries for this target. I believe that there are
threading libraries for HPUX 10.20 that gcc likes.

--

Matt Hiller
GCC Engineer, Red Hat, Inc., Sunnyvale office

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Debbie Gilbert wrote:

> Hi:
>
> We are trying to install gcc version 3.01 onto an HPUX 10.20 platform. When
> we attempt to compile <gcc -v> we see thread is single. We need to be
> multi-threaded. Do you know how we can install or compile such that we are
> multi-threaded?
>
> We have been struggling with this for 2 weeks, and been unable to find a
> solution, so your timely response would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thankyou very much.
>
> Debra Gilbert

* .../main.c: No such file or directory
@ 2001-10-02 16:04   ` Wanyu Li
From: Wanyu Li @ 2001-10-02 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Hiller; +Cc: Debbie Gilbert, gcc-help

Hi,
 I recently moved to use g77 on Sun station. I compiled and linked a
fortran program with -g switch. When I get in gdb to debug the program,
 I find that the symbols from the program are loaded in, but I can see the
source code by command 'list', I get a message of
'../../../../libf2c/libF77/main.c: No such file or directory.'

 Who can tell me what problem it is? How can I fix it?

 Any answer would be  appreciated.

 Thanks.

 Wanyu Li

-----------------------------------
500 w Prospec St.
6H Aggie Village
Ft.,Collins,80521 CO,U.S.A
tel:970-491-7192(w),970-491-6758(w),970-491-8898(h)
email:
 wanyu_li@engr.colostate.edu
 wanyu_li@yahoo.com
----------------------------------

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Matt Hiller wrote:

> 	When running configure before building gcc, use the
> --enable-threads option and configure will set up gcc to use the best
> known threading libraries for this target. I believe that there are
> threading libraries for HPUX 10.20 that gcc likes.
>
> --
>
> Matt Hiller
> GCC Engineer, Red Hat, Inc., Sunnyvale office
>
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Debbie Gilbert wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > We are trying to install gcc version 3.01 onto an HPUX 10.20 platform. When
> > we attempt to compile <gcc -v> we see thread is single. We need to be
> > multi-threaded. Do you know how we can install or compile such that we are
> > multi-threaded?
> >
> > We have been struggling with this for 2 weeks, and been unable to find a
> > solution, so your timely response would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thankyou very much.
> >
> > Debra Gilbert

* Re: .../main.c: No such file or directory
@ 2001-10-02 23:04     ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2001-10-02 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanyu Li; +Cc: Matt Hiller, Debbie Gilbert, gcc-help

Wanyu Li wrote:

>  I recently moved to use g77 on Sun station. I compiled and linked a
> fortran program with -g switch. When I get in gdb to debug the program,
>  I find that the symbols from the program are loaded in, but I can see the
> source code by command 'list', I get a message of
> '../../../../libf2c/libF77/main.c: No such file or directory.'

This means that there is no main program in your Fortran sources, i.e.,
something that starts with:

      PROGRAM BLAH
      END

Kind regards,

* Re: .../main.c: No such file or directory
@ 2001-10-03  9:38       ` Wanyu Li
From: Wanyu Li @ 2001-10-03  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: Matt Hiller, Debbie Gilbert, gcc-help

Hi, Toon,
 Thanks for the info, but I still haven't worked it out. My program is as
simple as
program main_f
      real x,y
      x = 10
      y = 99
      x = x*y
      write(*,*)x
      end
and I use these commands:

 g77 -g -c ttt.f -o ttt.o
 g77 -g -o ttt ttt.o

and I have test as belows:
 gdb ttt

GNU gdb 5.0
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.8"...
(gdb) file ttt
Load new symbol table from "ttt"? (y or n) y
Reading symbols from ttt...done.
(gdb) list
46      ../../../../libf2c/libF77/main.c: No such file or directory.

 Do you think it would be a problem else?

 Thanks a lot!

 Wanyu

-----------------------------------

@ 2001-10-03 13:46         ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2001-10-03 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanyu Li; +Cc: Matt Hiller, Debbie Gilbert, gcc-help

Wanyu Li wrote:

> (gdb) file ttt
> Load new symbol table from "ttt"? (y or n) y
> Reading symbols from ttt...done.
> (gdb) list
> 46      ../../../../libf2c/libF77/main.c: No such file or directory.
>
>  Do you think it would be a problem else?

Whooops - I completely misread your problem report.  Yes, this has
another cause then a missing main program in your Fortran source.

The problem is that g77 doesn't build a main program that's recognisable
by gdb - it links in a "main program" from the libg2c.a library (it's
the easiest way to make it possible that Fortran programs can access
command line arguments with iargc() and getarg(n,arg).  The consequence
of this is that the debugger drops you into *this* main program, that is
written in C.

It's documented in the g77 manual that to circumvent this, you'll have
to say:

break MAIN__

before running your program in gdb.  When gdb then stops, you are able
to see the start of your Fortran program (and gdb knows that the
language is Fortran).

Hope this helps,

* Re: .../main.c: No such file or directory
@ 2001-10-03 14:31           ` Wanyu Li
From: Wanyu Li @ 2001-10-03 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: Matt Hiller, Debbie Gilbert, gcc-help

Thanks a lot, Toon. It works and has been the great help.

Wanyu