* Re: newbie help on AIX 5.2 build
@ 2005-01-11 16:32 Louis Burroughs
From: Louis Burroughs @ 2005-01-11 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: lburroughs

Thanks, I tried bullfreeware but ran into troubles installing using smit
(It wanted a user named "freeware"  or something like that for part of the
install). I sent an issue to support, but did not recieve a reply.  I was
also concerned about the version, UCLA is on gcc 3.3.4, but is built only
up to AIX5.1, Bull is on gcc 3.3.2, but is built for AIX 5.2.

Thanks for replying,
Louis M. Burroughs III, OCTO

Eli Ben-Shoshan <linkages@ufl.edu>
01/11/2005 11:01 AM
Please respond to ebs

        To:     lburroughs@charter.net
        cc:     gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org, lburroug@aholdusa.com
        bcc:
        Subject:        Re: newbie help on AIX 5.2 build

Louis,
If this is the first time you are trying to get gcc to build on AIX and do
not
have a lot of time, I would recommend you get the prebuild version of gcc
from
bullfreeware.com:

http://www.bullfreeware.com/work_main.html

Enjoy.

lburroughs@charter.net wrote:
> I am trying to build C and C++ compilers on an IBM box running aix 5.2.
I downloaded the gcc-3.3.4 and binutils binaries from UCLA to run my
bootstrap build.  I ran configure --enable-threads=aix
--enable-languages=c,c++ from my objdir.  I then ran make bootstrap-lean.
After all of this runs for about a day and a half and then it fails with:

> checking for C compiler default output... a.out
> checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C
compiled
>  programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details.
> make[1]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/webapps/gnu'
> make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2
>
> I noticed that in the objdir there is a directory named gcc with my g++
compiler, but there is no gcc compiler in this directory, nor anywhere
else under the objdir.  I am also not sure which config.log I should be
looking for, there seems to be more than one.  Also I am not trying to
cross compile (I don't think I am at least).

> I am trying to build this compiler, so I can compile sleepycats db on
aix 5.2.  I may never use it again after this.  Is there an easier way?

@ 2005-01-11 16:01 ` Eli Ben-Shoshan
From: Eli Ben-Shoshan @ 2005-01-11 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lburroughs; +Cc: gcc-help, lburroug

Louis,
	If this is the first time you are trying to get gcc to build on AIX and do not
have a lot of time, I would recommend you get the prebuild version of gcc from
bullfreeware.com:

	http://www.bullfreeware.com/work_main.html

Enjoy.

lburroughs@charter.net wrote:
> I am trying to build C and C++ compilers on an IBM box running aix 5.2.  I downloaded the gcc-3.3.4 and binutils binaries from UCLA to run my bootstrap build.  I ran configure --enable-threads=aix --enable-languages=c,c++ from my objdir.  I then ran make bootstrap-lean.  After all of this runs for about a day and a half and then it fails with:
>

> checking for C compiler default output... a.out
> checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C compiled
>  programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details.
> make[1]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/webapps/gnu'
> make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2
>
> I noticed that in the objdir there is a directory named gcc with my g++ compiler, but there is no gcc compiler in this directory, nor anywhere else under the objdir.  I am also not sure which config.log I should be looking for, there seems to be more than one.  Also I am not trying to cross compile (I don't think I am at least).
>
> I am trying to build this compiler, so I can compile sleepycats db on aix 5.2.  I may never use it again after this.  Is there an easier way?
>
> Thanks,
> Louis M. Burroughs III, OCTO

* newbie help on AIX 5.2 build
@ 2005-01-10 14:31 lburroughs