* Re: Ancient Fortran, help please
@ 2004-12-18  9:54 Bud Davis
From: Bud Davis @ 2004-12-18  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: benjo

H Ben,

On first glance you have a mismatch between the type of a variable and
the data you are trying to initialize.

But, in most cases, we here at gcc-help give erroneous advice when all
we see is a code fragment.  If you could make us a small, "should be
compilable" fragment showing both the declaration and the
data statement, maybe we can help out.

Here is an example that I think shows your problem, but it works !!

$ cat data.f

       INTEGER T
       DATA T      /'VHF     '/
       PRINT*,T
       END
$ g77 data.f
$ ./a.out
 541476950

also the output of "g77 --version" can be useful.

--bud

* Ancient Fortran, help please
@ 2004-12-18  4:51 Benjamin Joseph
From: Benjamin Joseph @ 2004-12-18  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Guys,

I have this horrible fortran problem.  I've got this ancient fortran code
that refuses to compile any compiler except Intel Fortran Compiler--which
is a problem because the computer we're running on is an Opteron, which is
an AMD chipset.

If I try to compile it with g77 I get the following error:
------------
DATA TYPE      /'VHF     ','MINITRCK','C-BAND  ','S-BAND  ',
                          ^
Type disagreement between expressions at (?) and (^)

I've searched the archives and have gotten some useful information, but it
doesn't seem to solve the problem.  Here's the relevant post:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/1999-11n/msg00535.html

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be eternally
grateful.

-Ben