* Help needed please
@ 2001-10-16  8:04 Craig Kennedy
From: Craig Kennedy @ 2001-10-16  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello.

I am currently setting up my computer to use GCC and have come across a
problem. I am writing programs in fortran77 and am trying to compile it
with GCC. However, when I type "gcc [file name]" my terminal comes up with
an error message: installation problem cannot find f771; not a file or
directory. I have just installed GCC, and am wondering if you can help. My
OS is Linux Mandrake.

Many thanks,

Craig Kennedy

Department of Biological Sciences
University of Stirling
Stirling
FK9 4LA
tel  +44 1786 467801

* RE: Help needed please
@ 2001-10-18  0:35 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2001-10-18  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Craig Kennedy'; +Cc: gcc-help

Craig Kennedy wrote:

> I am currently setting up my computer to use GCC and have come
> across a problem. I am writing programs in fortran77 and am trying
> to  compile it with GCC. However, when I type "gcc [file name]" my
> terminal comes up with an error message: installation problem cannot
> find f771; not a file or directory. I have just installed GCC, and
> am wondering if you can help. My OS is Linux Mandrake.

(I had hoped someone who uses Mandrake would speak up, but I'll have a
go at answering anyway.)

The gcc 'compiler driver' you have installed has been compiled with
support for Fortran. However, the actual fortran compiler (and most
likely the support libraries) haven't been installed.

Mandrake probably have a separate install package (rpm?) for the
Fortran-specific parts of GCC. Have a look on your install CD for a
package 'g77' or 'gcc-fortran' or similar.

When you're compiling Fortran, it's better to invoke the
Fortran-specific compiler driver 'g77' rather than 'gcc.'

Good luck,
Rup.