* Building for Ada :  make gnatlib_and_tools fails
@ 2002-06-28  4:51 Pierre Habraken
From: Pierre Habraken @ 2002-06-28  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I am trying to build gcc 3.1 for compiling Ada programs.
The build and target host is a Linux machine running Redhat 7.2.
The Gnat compiler is 3.14p.
I followed instructions given in http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html:

    cd gcc-3.1
    mkdir build
    cd build
    ../configure --enable-languages=c,ada
    cd ../gcc/ada
    touch treeprs.ads [es]info.h nmake.ad[bs]
    cd ../../build
    make bootstrap

Everything works fine until the end of this first step.
Then:

    cd gcc
    make gnatlib_and_tools

Building libgnat.a fails:
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gcc-3.1/build/gcc/ada/rts'
rm -f rts/libgnat.a rts/libgnarl.a
ar rc rts/libgnat.a \
   rts/a-caldel.o rts/a-calend.o rts/a-chahan.o rts/a-charac.o
rts/a-chlat1.o ...
... rts/tracebak.o rts/expect.o rts/../../prefix.o
ar: rts/a-charac.o: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [gnatlib] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gcc-3.1/build/gcc/ada'
make: *** [gnatlib] Error 2

I don't understand why some object files are missing at the time ar is
executed.
Does anyone have an idea about the mistake I did ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pierre
Pierre HABRAKEN - mailto:Pierre.Habraken@imag.fr
Tél: 04 76 82 72 83 - Fax: 04 76 82 72 87
IMAG-LSR BP72 38402 SAINT MARTIN D'HERES Cedex

* Re: Building for Ada :  make gnatlib_and_tools fails
@ 2002-06-28  6:18 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2002-06-28  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Habraken; +Cc: gcc-help

Pierre Habraken <Pierre.Habraken@imag.fr> writes:

>     cd gcc-3.1
>     mkdir build
>     cd build

You should have used

      cd gcc-3.1
      mkdir ../build-gcc-3.1
      cd ../build-gcc-3.1

and so on.  The build directory must not be located inside the source
directory tree.  (This is mentioned earlier in the installation
document.)

* Re: Building for Ada :  make gnatlib_and_tools fails
@ 2002-06-28 13:02 ` Andris Pavenis
From: Andris Pavenis @ 2002-06-28 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Habraken; +Cc: gcc-help

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Pierre Habraken wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build gcc 3.1 for compiling Ada programs.
> The build and target host is a Linux machine running Redhat 7.2.
> The Gnat compiler is 3.14p.
> I followed instructions given in http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html:
>
>     cd gcc-3.1
>     mkdir build
>     cd build
>     ../configure --enable-languages=c,ada
>     cd ../gcc/ada
>     touch treeprs.ads [es]info.h nmake.ad[bs]
>     cd ../../build
>     make bootstrap
>
> Everything works fine until the end of this first step.
> Then:
>
>     cd gcc
>     make gnatlib_and_tools
>
> Building libgnat.a fails:
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gcc-3.1/build/gcc/ada/rts'
> rm -f rts/libgnat.a rts/libgnarl.a
> ar rc rts/libgnat.a \
>    rts/a-caldel.o rts/a-calend.o rts/a-chahan.o rts/a-charac.o
> rts/a-chlat1.o ...
> ... rts/tracebak.o rts/expect.o rts/../../prefix.o
> ar: rts/a-charac.o: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [gnatlib] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gcc-3.1/build/gcc/ada'
> make: *** [gnatlib] Error 2

Got similar trouble when tried to build GNAT together with GCC-3.1
for i586-pc-msdosdjgpp. It seems to be some problem with make which founds
object files in parent directory (used before to build a compiler) and
does not want to rebuild them. As result they are missing when make tried
to build libgnat. It was not the only problem and I dropped attempts
to build GNATS for DJGPP now (maybe I'll retry with gcc-3.2, who knows
...)

> I don't understand why some object files are missing at the time ar is
> executed.
> Does anyone have an idea about the mistake I did ?

Andris

* Re: Building for Ada :  make gnatlib_and_tools fails
@ 2002-07-01  5:26   ` Pierre Habraken
From: Pierre Habraken @ 2002-07-01  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andris Pavenis; +Cc: gcc-help

Andris Pavenis wrote:
> [...]
> Got similar trouble when tried to build GNAT together with GCC-3.1
> for i586-pc-msdosdjgpp. It seems to be some problem with make which founds
> object files in parent directory (used before to build a compiler) and
> does not want to rebuild them. As result they are missing when make tried
> to build libgnat. It was not the only problem and I dropped attempts
> to build GNATS for DJGPP now (maybe I'll retry with gcc-3.2, who knows
> ...)

Florian Weimer (mailto:fw@deneb.enyo.de) gave the answer: the build
directory must reside outside the source directory (in fact, this is
clearly stated in the installation instructions).
Now, gcc builds with no error until completion.