* gcc error and warning messages wrap at 80
@ 2003-11-08 19:29 Justin Findlay
From: Justin Findlay @ 2003-11-08 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Why do gcc's error and warnings auto wrap at 80 characters, rather than at
the terminal buffer width?  It makes reading these messages difficult
especially if you have long paths and are using C++ templates.

Justin

* Re: gcc error and warning messages wrap at 80
@ 2003-11-09 20:21 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2003-11-09 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Findlay, gcc-help

Hi Justin,

You can set where the buffer wraps.

g++ -fmessage-length=$COLUMNS foo.cpp -o foo

Or to disable it:

g++ -fmessage-length=0 foo.cpp -o foo

I usually disable it.

--Eljay

* Re: gcc error and warning messages wrap at 80
@ 2003-11-10  0:59   ` Justin Findlay
From: Justin Findlay @ 2003-11-10  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen; +Cc: gcc-help

> You can set where the buffer wraps.

Can I do this globally, as in when I build gcc?

@ 2003-11-09 19:10 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-11-09 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: findlay; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello,

I agree that wrapping at 80 characters always doesn't
seem a very brilliant idea. I'd file a bug report in
bugzilla for this one.

Dara

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree