* Compiles but....
@ 2003-09-09 13:10 Julian Daly
From: Julian Daly @ 2003-09-09 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I have been able to compile gcc 3.3.

My problem though is that I still have the version 2.95.3 when I run the
command

     gcc --version

I know that if I go into the directory of the newly compiled 3.3 and run the
command

     ./cpp --version

I will get 3.3.

What I really what to know is how do I get the 3.3 to be system wide ? I
don't want version 2.95.3 at all.

Thanks,

Julian

* Re: Compiles but....
@ 2003-09-09 13:44 ` Ishwar Rattan
From: Ishwar Rattan @ 2003-09-09 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Daly; +Cc: gcc-help

Try
	export PATH=:/path/to/3.3stuff:$PATH

hth
-ishwar

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Julian Daly wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been able to compile gcc 3.3.
>
> My problem though is that I still have the version 2.95.3 when I run the
> command
>
>      gcc --version
>
> I know that if I go into the directory of the newly compiled 3.3 and run the
> command
>
>      ./cpp --version
>
> I will get 3.3.
>
> What I really what to know is how do I get the 3.3 to be system wide ? I
> don't want version 2.95.3 at all.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Julian

* RE: Compiles but....
@ 2003-09-09 13:54   ` Julian Daly
From: Julian Daly @ 2003-09-09 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ishwar Rattan; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello and thanks,

Would I then be able to de-install the 2.95.3 version?

Thanks,

Julian

Try
	export PATH=:/path/to/3.3stuff:$PATH

hth
-ishwar

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Julian Daly wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been able to compile gcc 3.3.
>
> My problem though is that I still have the version 2.95.3 when I run the
> command
>
>      gcc --version
>
> I know that if I go into the directory of the newly compiled 3.3 and run
the
> command
>
>      ./cpp --version
>
> I will get 3.3.
>
> What I really what to know is how do I get the 3.3 to be system wide ? I
> don't want version 2.95.3 at all.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Julian

* RE: Compiles but....
@ 2003-09-09 14:01     ` Ishwar Rattan
From: Ishwar Rattan @ 2003-09-09 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Daly; +Cc: gcc-help

If you want to.. might come out a little tricky in the sense
that do not remove files that may be shared with other programs..

try
	rpm -qa | gre gcc
(assuming Linux..??)
then remove each one using
	rpm -e <rpm-to-remove>
or
	Just leave it alone..
-ishwar

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Julian Daly wrote:

> Hello and thanks,
>
> Would I then be able to de-install the 2.95.3 version?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julian
>

> Try
> 	export PATH=:/path/to/3.3stuff:$PATH
>
> hth
> -ishwar
>

> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Julian Daly wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been able to compile gcc 3.3.
> >
> > My problem though is that I still have the version 2.95.3 when I run the
> > command
> >
> >      gcc --version
> >
> > I know that if I go into the directory of the newly compiled 3.3 and run
> the
> > command
> >
> >      ./cpp --version
> >
> > I will get 3.3.
> >
> > What I really what to know is how do I get the 3.3 to be system wide ? I
> > don't want version 2.95.3 at all.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >

> > Julian

* RE: Compiles but....
@ 2003-09-09 16:16 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2003-09-09 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ishwar, judaly; +Cc: gcc-help

Also, if you're on Linux, and 2.95.3 is your system compiler, then you probably DON'T want to get rid of it, because you may need it again.  C++ binaries produced with GCC 3.3 are not compatible with GCC 2.95.3.  However, you can set your PATH as described before so that you pick up GCC 3.3 by default.  A better solution might be to install it into a standard path, but name it slightly differently.  For example, rather than naming it just "gcc", etc., you could name it "gcc3".  That way, you can keep both compilers around and have access to both of them.

Thanks,
Lyle Taylor
IS Applications