* Understanding gcc source
@ 2004-04-01 17:58 Hari
From: Hari @ 2004-04-01 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I am trying to understand the source code of Gcc because I want to
learn its control flow  . I am basically concentrating on
the order in which Gcc compiler consults its different source files like
toplev.c ,expr.c ..e.t.c.
   Please give me some pointer to some documentation which addreses this.
any help will be highly appreciated.

regards
-hari

* writable text segments?
@ 2004-04-01 18:24 ` Matthew P Donovan
From: Matthew P Donovan @ 2004-04-01 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

My professor has me hunting for a way to make text segments writable in
compiled binaries (ELF format).  I found a passing reference to a -N
command line option, but haven't been able to find any documentation about
it.  Can someone point me to a reference that talks about this?

Thanks in advance
-matthew

Just because some of us can read, write
and do a little arithmetic, that doesn't
mean we deserve to conquer the universe.

-Kurt Vonnegut

* Re: writable text segments?
@ 2004-04-02 15:32   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-04-02 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew P Donovan; +Cc: gcc-help

Matthew P Donovan <mpd@cs.pdx.edu> writes:

> My professor has me hunting for a way to make text segments writable in
> compiled binaries (ELF format).  I found a passing reference to a -N
> command line option, but haven't been able to find any documentation about
> it.  Can someone point me to a reference that talks about this?

-N is a linker option.  The documentation, such as it is, is here:
    http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/docs-2.12/ld.info/Options.html#Options

If you pass -N to gcc when doing a link, gcc will pass -N on to the
linker.  As far as I know this behaviour is undocumented.

Ian

* Re: Understanding gcc source
@ 2004-04-02 10:15 Saurabh Verma
From: Saurabh Verma @ 2004-04-02 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: hari

Hi,
    The gcc info pages list out the files involved in the different passes
of GCC. For exact flow determination, gdb'ing gcc might help.

regards
saurabh