* Library libbackend.a
@ 2008-03-12 23:43 James Allsopp
From: James Allsopp @ 2008-03-12 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,
I'm looking for a library called libbackend.a, produced when gcc is
compiled. I need it to install g95, which I need because a program I need
to install complains about gfortran. I'm using gcc-4.2.3 on an up to date
gentoo install. Any help would be really gratefully received!
Cheers thanks!
Jim

* Re: Library libbackend.a
@ 2008-03-13  0:46 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-03-13  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Allsopp; +Cc: gcc-help

James Allsopp wrote:

> I'm looking for a library called libbackend.a, produced when gcc is
> compiled. I need it to install g95, which I need because a program I need
> to install complains about gfortran. I'm using gcc-4.2.3 on an up to date
> gentoo install. Any help would be really gratefully received!

libbackend.a will be in the build tree after successfully building gcc.
It doesn't get installed out of the tree when you install gcc because
it's not intended to be a an actual library, and you won't find it
anywhere other than by building gcc.  It's just a temporary convenience
for linking the individual gcc subcompilers (cc1, cc1plus, et cetera)
and it's superfluous once the gcc build is finished.

Brian

* Re: Library libbackend.a
@ 2008-03-13  1:28   ` James Allsopp
From: James Allsopp @ 2008-03-13  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Ah, I see, thank you very much for taking the time to explain that to
me, much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jim

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Brian Dessent wrote:

> James Allsopp wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a library called libbackend.a, produced when gcc is
>> compiled. I need it to install g95, which I need because a program I need
>> to install complains about gfortran. I'm using gcc-4.2.3 on an up to date
>> gentoo install. Any help would be really gratefully received!
>
> libbackend.a will be in the build tree after successfully building gcc.
> It doesn't get installed out of the tree when you install gcc because
> it's not intended to be a an actual library, and you won't find it
> anywhere other than by building gcc.  It's just a temporary convenience
> for linking the individual gcc subcompilers (cc1, cc1plus, et cetera)
> and it's superfluous once the gcc build is finished.
>
> Brian

  James Allsopp                         E-mail	     ja@astro.livjm.ac.uk
  Astrophysics Research Institute       Telephone     +44 151 2312922
  Liverpool John Moores University      Fax	     +44 151 2312921