From: David Mehringer <dmehring@astro.uiuc.edu>
To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: David Mehringer <dmehring@astro.uiuc.edu>
Subject: 2.95.2 for the ia64?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:58:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi,
We are trying to port our package which is written in C, C++, and fortran to
Intel's IA64 platform under Linux.  We use gcc to build our package on
Solaris and Linux-ix86, and we'd like to use it on the ia64.  The problem is
that the ia64 system people have installed gcc 2.96.  We cannot use this
development snapshot, so I was wondering if it is possible to build gcc 2.95
on the ai64, and if so, will it write 64 bit code.  I've downloaded the 2.95
sources, but configure dies immediately complaining that

Invalid configuration `ia64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `ia64-unknown' not
recognized

So, if gcc 2.95 can be built for the IA64, how is that done?

Thanks

--
David Mehringer, Ph.D.            University of Illinois
dmehring@astro.uiuc.edu           National Center for Supercomputing