* --with-gnu-ld ?
@ 2001-07-03 12:49 Chris Majewski
From: Chris Majewski @ 2001-07-03 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

FYI:
To configure  gcc3.0 to use a different  ld than the one  used by your
previous  compiler,  you have  to  do  an "export  LD=/path/to/gnu/ld"
before running  configure.  This really should be  a configure option,
no? Something like '--with-gnu-ld=/path/to/gnu/ld'.

-chris

* Re: --with-gnu-ld ?
@ 2001-07-03 13:15 ` Chris Majewski
From: Chris Majewski @ 2001-07-03 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Erh,    actually,   I    take   that    back.   Gcc    *still*   using
/usr/ccs/bin/ld. Maybe I need to take out the --with-gnu-ld..
-chris

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Chris Majewski wrote:

> FYI:
> To configure  gcc3.0 to use a different  ld than the one  used by your
> previous  compiler,  you have  to  do  an "export  LD=/path/to/gnu/ld"
> before running  configure.  This really should be  a configure option,
> no? Something like '--with-gnu-ld=/path/to/gnu/ld'.
>
> -chris

* Re: --with-gnu-ld ?
@ 2001-07-03 15:04 Chris Majewski
From: Chris Majewski @ 2001-07-03 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Yeah.  The problem  seems to  be that  if my  current compiler  uses a
non-gnu   ld,   --with-gnu-ld   confuses   the  gcc   build.   Setting
LD=/path/to/gnu/ld  seems  to have  done  the  right  thing, though  I
haven't tested it yet..
-chris

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Peter Kurpis wrote:

> Oops.  I could've sworn I had done this, but my notes say:
>
> 	configure ... --with-ld=/path/to/gnu/ld --with-gnu-ld ...
>
> The first tells where to look (as opposed to just using PATH, I think),
> the second one tells the build system that it can generate code assuming
> that the GNU ld is being used.
>
> > Is  not! '--with-gnu-ld'  is an  option, but  '--with-gnu-ld=blah' did
> > nothing for me.
> > -chris

> > > It is.

* Re: --with-gnu-ld ?
@ 2001-07-03 14:35   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-07-03 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Majewski; +Cc: Peter Kurpis, gcc-help

On Jul  3, 2001, Chris Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Is  not! '--with-gnu-ld'  is an  option, but  '--with-gnu-ld=blah' did
> nothing for me.

It's --with-ld=blah you're looking for.  --with-gnu-ld just tells GCC
that blah is a GNU ld, not a system-bundled ld.

* Re: --with-gnu-ld ?
@ 2001-07-03 13:57 ` Chris Majewski
From: Chris Majewski @ 2001-07-03 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kurpis; +Cc: gcc-help

Is  not! '--with-gnu-ld'  is an  option, but  '--with-gnu-ld=blah' did
nothing for me.
-chris

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Peter Kurpis wrote:

> > To configure  gcc3.0 to use a different  ld than the one  used by your
> > previous  compiler,  you have  to  do  an "export  LD=/path/to/gnu/ld"
> > before running  configure.  This really should be  a configure option,
> > no? Something like '--with-gnu-ld=/path/to/gnu/ld'.
>
> It is.

* Re: --with-gnu-ld ?
@ 2001-07-03 13:20 Peter Kurpis
From: Peter Kurpis @ 2001-07-03 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)